Logo

Power trim slows engine down when trying to trim?

LGnBAMA

Had my boat out yesterday, (81 Glastron SX 190 / 305 c.i./ 228 HP Mercruiser Alpha I), and when running about 40 mph I tried to trim up, the engine started cutting out, or as if the trim was taking power (electrical to the coil?) away from the engine? Could this be the power trim motor, or selenoids? Motor runs great until I try to trim!

LG

Not to saby but It should be using power from the battery. The altenator should through it enought juice to keep power from motor. The only other issue is that you are trimming it to high. If the propeller is to high it will throw a roostertail and the prop cannot bite the water

Not to saby but It should be using power from the battery. The altenator should through it enought juice to keep power from motor. The only other issue is that you are trimming it to high. If the propeller is to high it will throw a roostertail and the prop cannot bite the water

I know what you mean, but Im not trying to trim it up too much. I agree that the battery is powering the trim motor, but something is pulling too many amps when I try to trim while running at a pretty good speed. I replaced the brushes last year in the trim motor, and trim works fin sitting still? Im thinking it could be the trim motor selinoids? The engine runs fine, until I try to trim up while running down the river, then when I hit the trim button, the engine seems to be loosing some of the power to the coil, and the RPM's slack off just a little, until I release the trim button, then it regains full power.

Thanks,

LG

Make sure your primary battery is up to snuff...check each cell w/a 5 ball battery tester...all balls should float to the top if it is in good condition. If the acid in one or more cells is dirty/cloudy those cells are nearly dead and time for a new battery. A battery about to die will act like a high resistance short on the alternator. Clean all of the terimals until shiny. Does that trim limit switch work properly? It will stop the drive from going up too far before it causes an over rev condition.

Had my boat out yesterday, (81 Glastron SX 190 / 305 c.i./ 228 HP Mercruiser Alpha I), and when running about 40 mph I tried to trim up, the engine started cutting out, or as if the trim was taking power (electrical to the coil?) away from the engine? Could this be the power trim motor, or selenoids? Motor runs great until I try to trim!

LG

Ayuh,.... You have a Bad Ground,...... Somewhere.....

Back