Logo

flywheel key?

shawnfish

Regular Contributor
where is it located? ive looked on my schematic and dont see it. im troubleshooting why my motor will not start and im to the point where my manual says to check if it is sheared off. J25RCSA any help?

Remove the flywheel, and you will see it.
However you may roughly check if ok without removing.
Remove the spark plugs.
Turn the engine until top piston (Cyl #1) is at TDC. (Use a screw/caliper or whatever to determine).
Check that the TDC mark on flywheel aligns with the TDC mark on either the manual starter or the notch on the electric starter.
If it does, key is OK.

Remove the flywheel, and you will see it.
However you may roughly check if ok without removing.
Remove the spark plugs.
Turn the engine until top piston (Cyl #1) is at TDC. (Use a screw/caliper or whatever to determine).
Check that the TDC mark on flywheel aligns with the TDC mark on either the manual starter or the notch on the electric starter.
If it does, key is OK.

you lost me after remove the plugs lol! turn engine until top piston is at TDC???? screw/caliper to check???marks aligning with TDC mark on the elec starter or manual starter? i have both, manual with elec. added a while back.

Use a long screw, screwdriver whatever against the piston, slowly turn the engine until the piston is at the top. (TDC)
Your model number indicates a manual start?
If so, on port side of the manual starter housing it is an 'arrow' casting mark. The flywheel has two ignition markings, one for manual and one for electric start models. If manual, the TDC (manual) on flywheel should align with the arrow on the starter housing. If electric start, use the edge of the protruding tab on the starter motor and the 'electric' on flywheel.

gotchya, my motor was manual start originally and had elec. start kit added so either will start it. does it matter wich one i use or should both sets(man and elec) align? and thank you very much haffiman37!!

If both (manual and electric), they should both align but on their different markings on the flywheel. Will in fact give you a double confirmation.

To check timing, you will need a light. However to confirm that you read correct, TDC marking(s) on flywheel and 'pointer' should first be verified. On this engine the pointer(s) are fixed, and if not aligned at TDC, make a correction mark. To verify if key is broken, the demand for accuracy not that big. Timing will not change by use, only if components are changed and it will only concern the max timing advance setting.

one more thing, how excatly do i know when top piston is at TDC? what does TDC represent? does it mean when the piston is fully up right before it goes back down? like at its highest point in the cylinder? if so my marks are no where near any of the degree marks on the flywheel..

TDC = Top Dead Center. Piston at it's max, beginning to go 'down'.
If marks not aligning, key may be sheared and flywheel must be removed. If possible, take some picks showing marks off. (use a marker pen to high lighten.

019 (800x600).jpg022 (800x600).jpg024 (800x600).jpg021 (800x600).jpg
first pic of piston at top of stroke. 2nd pic shows where the mark on the cover would line up on the flywheel, the 4th pic is from my manual and mine does not have that ledge shown to the left of the marks in the manual pic? manual mark on the flywheel is at 12. and the 3rd pic is the elec start and both black marks line up at 8. i do remember hearing a clinking sound every few times i tried starting it that ive never heard before, have no idea what it was but it did come from somewhere under the flywheel cover...

Looks like it is time to remove the flywheel. Next stop NAPA or similar to get a puller. Remember to get grade 8 bolts (3) for the flywheel!!

so the key needs replaced? i couldnt find it on any part list. also is this a complicated job? doesent sound difficult but dont wanna get in over my head. i do have the service manual.

The same. You find it in the 'crankshaft/Piston' section.
Easy to change, the difficult part might be getting the flywheel off, you need a puller.
If the key is 'cut' flush with the taper on the crank, take a small screwdriver or similar and give it a knock on top or bottom. It is just a 'half moon' and will then tilt out. Any key will do that fits, it is just there to align the flywheel magnets with the crank. The flywheel is held in place by friction to the taper due to the nut torque which is the important one!! Clean off taper in flywheel and cone on crank before assemble with aceton or carb cleaner.

Back