MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default 1964 65HP Mecury Outboard Checking Points

Hi, I have a '64 65HP Mercury Outboard that I'm working on. I do not have a manual to work with, so I'm hesitant to start tearing it apart. I'm trying to check the points. As you may know the distributor cap is upside down. I was wondering if anyone had an idea what is the best or most efficient way to get to the points. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: 1964 65HP Mecury Outboard Checking Points

I have worked on a 65 50hp merc and I wouldnt work on it without a manual. Parts are real expensive so be real careful on taking anything apart the points coil and condenser are internal give everything a good visual and if you have to pull the flywheel you must use the proper puller you dont want to bend the flywheel. did you try disconnecting the kill wire to the distributor the single wire going to it is the kill circuit disconnect it and see if you get spark. check the timing belt is tight if you have spark there is a line on the flywheel put the timing light on the top plug and line up the marks. I gave my manual to the guy who bought the motor that tells you where the timing should be when the throttle butterflys begin to open and max advance at WOT I believe it has been a long time.You need the serial number to get the correct parts especially around 64-65 they made alot of changes on the 50hp not sure on the 65hp tho I will check.

There are 4 screws on the magneto ( near the middle ) remove them to drop the magneto out of it.----It is much easier to work on it on a bench. ----There will be no surprises to this work,--Easy to do !----set points at 0.010" and test it to see if you have a small lightning show before installing it.

It may look small but it really packs a wallop I spun it fast with my finger too close ouch.

Many have learned not to do that (like me!)

Once you get her apart, the points need to be set at around .008 to .010 inches open. Be sure to lube the rubbing block.

Jeff