Logo

Screwed up my 100ESL72R Johnson outboard

GLE3

Using the J Reeves wiring instruction, tried to wire solenoid/starter to powerpack(as I could only get 8.5 volts to the pack itself). Here is the post I used.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?22980-Johnson-115-v4-1970-No-spark

I'm thinking I did it wrong, cause I can no longer start the engine. I'm guessing I connected to the wrong terminal. I can get a 12 volt reading to the solenoid but it doesn't get appear to get any further as I tried to do a volt test at the starter terminal while attempting to turn the engine over with no success. Would the solenoid be the problem or something else???

Secondly, does anyone know exactly which terminal Joe is talking about? There is 4 terminals on the solenoid, one comes from battery, one goes to starter, one listed as positive in my manual, and one listed as ground. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Ok, traced the problem to the key switch. I'm not getting a voltage reading. Not sure if that has anything to do with my latest wiring job....

Still wondering if I am putting the wire on 'the starter terminal of the starter solenoid'.... My manual doesn't specifically call any terminal on the solenoid a 'starter terminal'. My guess is one of two places... The terminal that connects via wire to the terminal on the starter, or the (key switch/positive) terminal.

Back