Logo

'67 electric shift stringer....tilt issue...

dimitrimfogal

Regular Contributor
hey guys , i recently experienced tilt motor issues...first problem was after a day on the water we returned to the dock and the drive would not raise , it would just make several clicking noises in the solenoids....after taking the drive off to trailer it home , i posted questions on how to fix ...so i purchased a new tilt motor , installed it , and had the same problem....clicking noises ...:mad: . after a week of screwing with it and frustrating evenings after work i figured out that the charge on my batterries was extremely low....i charged them and up and down she went like its supposed to:D...happy now going fishing...weeeeeeee! after about 5 or 6 trips to the river and bay , we returned to the dock and drive wouldnt raise . this time though all i get is a single click at the solenoids..:mad:...since then i followed master mechanics article on servicing the cluch...all good there , cleaned and inspected all wiring...all good there....charged batterries...all good there...for the big test...click :mad: . so i put new solenoids...click :mad:...
at this point im not sure what to do...i removed the tilt motor and ran a hot wire to the up terminal on the tilt motor it didnt turn....down...didnt turn...i thought a hot wire would make it run but i could be wrong...any idea what to do now ? fishing is finally hot , weather is great , and im stuck on shore ...the wife is getting pissed at me cuz ive spent all this money and cant get this damned thing workin and shes jonesin to cath a fat halibut for dinner :) thanx in advance , any help is appreciated...dimitri

I'd start by taking the quadrant gear off the drive and see if and how the spur gear turns with no load.
How many gaskets did you put under the clutch cover?

ran a hot wire to the up terminal on the tilt motor it didnt turn....down...didnt turn.
was there a big spark when you made the connection?

if yes, something is jammed up mechanically.

If no, then either the motor is dead, or you have a bad ground through the motor frame to the intermediate and back to batt neg terminal - don't overlook the ground path. current needs a complete circuit

hystat...drive is off the boat...spur gear doesnt turn under load or under no load....no spark when touched the hot wire...gonna search the grounds now , will post in a few thanx very much

disconnect the tilt motor at the spade connections. They clean ? I'm betting you didn't seat the connection all the way. Don't ask me how i know but i just went thru the same thing.

chief , connection are good and clean....connection seated and held together with a zip tie..to prevent them from coming apart....ground path is good , i suspect he new tilt motor chit the bed...never built the same as the old days....how do i test it ? i thought a hot wire would make it run ? ?????

Hot wire made mine run. Ran a battery cable to the central hot bar between the 2 solenoids. See the ground on the port side where the 2 solenoids for the tilt are. The pass thru bolt for the engine and the bell housing. Should be around the 3 o'clock position. Remove and clean that one. The solenoids for the tilt the bases acts as a ground clean the bases and the metal bar they mount to.

I tested my tilt motor on the bench. You do know the screw and or hammerblow coupler in the tilt clutch housing get jammed sometimes. I never tilt all the way up to the stop position i got tired of removing the half moon gear and lowering the drive manually.

okay guys thanx for all your help...as it turns out the new tilt motor i bought is junk...after going through and rewiring , cleaning , replacing the entire system it boils down to a new motor that has a manufacturer defect...waiting for new one to arrive....again.....dimitri

I tried a Sierra brand trim motor - the shaft split right at the "forked" end after about the third lift and killed my hammerblow coupling in the process.... I recommend going with OEM.

Back