Logo

115hp 1993 feels hotter on left side of motor than right

swampland

Hello,

Is it normal for one side of the power head to be hotter than the other? The left side of my 1993 115hp Johnson is a bit hotter than the right side.

I can hold my finger on the right side, but the left side is almost to hot to touch. Would a melt stick help to determine anything?

Thanks for your help.

J115TLETS

How hot is hot ???------------There is a thermostat and poppit valve for each bank.--------You may also want to look into these curious things called " water deflectors " actually rubber tubes.--Water does NOT flow thriough these tubes , but they guide water for proper cooling.-----------you need to remove cylinderhead to inspect them.-------If these deflectors are swollen / out of place they can block / restrict waterflow in the water jacket.

I have never removed a cylinderhead before but will try anything once. A visual inspection of the motor does not show any difference between the the two sides. I was going to use a some temp melt crayons to try and see if it was running hot on the port side. I can keep my finger on the starboard side heads, they are warm. The port side is hot to the touch. Not burn you hot but uncomfortable. I see no indications that the head gasket is coming out or exposed on the port side.

Use the temple sticks to determine running temperature.-----Not sure on your comment on " head gasket coming out or exposed on port side " -why that comment ?

In my backyard Florida motor butchery, I have seen what I assume is the head gaskets being "squeezed" out the side of the head. This would normally appear on a motor with dead or dying cylinder. I kinda thought that it may have been an indication of that head getting to hot and forcing/melting the gasket, but who knows, Florida is where all the weird stuff happens!

Any recomodations on grease/ gasket compound?

Thanks for all the help. I will pull the heads and see what is the problem. The grease/ gasket question was for assembly of lower unit bit I will post a new thread for that.

Back