Logo

Add Electric Start to 20 hp Johnson Outboard

Tom Hawk

Contributing Member
To All:

I have a 1971 20 hp Johnson Outboard. It's in pristeen condition. The flywheel has teeth on it. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that these teeth are for engagement with an electric starter drive. The model of the motor is 20R71S. Can I add an electric start to this motor? If so, it appears to me that I need the starter motor, a bracket for mounting the starter motor to the engine assembly, a solenoid, a contact switch to energize the solenoid, and various wiring to connect everything. Am I on the right track? If so, can anyone tell me what motor and motor starter motor bracket I need (OMC Part Numbers if possible)? The parts list for my 20R71S shows only a manual starter. What motor's parts breakdown would be applicable to this retrofit for my 20R71S?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Tom

any donor motor ( 22 cubic inch ) from about 1960 up about 1977 will have the parts you need.---------You already have the correct flywheel.----------Look for the electric start models right here above the yellow line for the parts list.

Racerone,

Thank you! Now, how do I determine the engine displacement? None of the 20 hp motors that I looked at had electric start. Please suggest a motor that's applicable.

Thank you very much!

Tom

$268 for the mounting bracket... wow
guess I did ok picking up a 25 Johnson with a bad lower unit but working electric start for $100 last year

I think searching for a parts motor the best way to go

Thank you. That's just what I needed. I sure can't afford the part in new condition but now I know what I need. I will search for a "parts" ourboard. I will get started.

Thanks,

Tom

My story continues.

I purchased a starter motor bracket that is supposed to fit a Johnson 15, 18, or 20 hp outboard of the correct vintage. The bracket has a casting number (not part number), of 203736. The bracket fits my motor perfectly.
Now for the problem.

I purchased a new starter. The starter motor will not mount to my starter bracket. I do not know if I have an incorrect bracket or whether I received the wrong starter motor. The starter bracket fits my outboard motor perfectly. The machined end of the starter (the top end) has a diameter of 2.50" and fits perfectly into the mating area of my bracket which has a machined recess of 2.50" in diameter by 0.110" deep. The problem is the center-to-center distance between the through-bolts of the starter and the center-to-center distance of the mounting holes in the bracked are not the same. The center-to-center distance between the through-bolts on the starter (also used for mounting) is 2.50". The center-to-center distance between the mounting holes in my bracket is 2.25"; therefore, the motor will not mount to my bracket. Please see several photos that I attached to help illustrate the issue (I tried to attach tham - I don't know it it worked).

I believe I can mill out a slot along either side of the bracket, fabricate an upper mounting ring to sit on top of the bracket, make longer through bolts for the starter and mount it. I just need advice on whether I am wasting my time.

I will be very appreciative of any assistance that anyone may be able to offer.

Thanks,

Tom

Racerone,

The part number of the starter motor is SAB0109. It was purchased from DB Electrical, Gray, TN. Their Tech Guy told me that the starter motor is correct for the '71 Johnson. They do not carry a motor with 2.25" center-to-center of the through-bolts with a proper drive for my flywheel. I have 15 days to return the starter motor. The clock started on Friday. I don't know whether to hold on to it and look for another bracket or send it back and look for another starter motor. Their website data appears to show that the starter is correct for my 71 Johnson.

It appears that my photos did not attach to the previous e-mail. How should I have attached them? I clicked on the "insert image" icon and downloaded them to a "window" but could not find a way to make them attach to the e-mail.

Tom

I think you have the wrong parts ether the bracket or the starter.-----------------My bet is the starter since the bracket seems to fit perfectly.------------These after market guys are not alway on top of things.

It was clearly mentioned that you need a starter for a 22 cubic inch motor !!--Why order from a list that has 31 cubic inches all over it ??

racerone,

I'm sorry. I started this whole mess. I know what 22 cubic inches but I can not identify a 22 cubic inch Johnson Engine. I simply tried my best to understand the ads related to motor starters. The folks I responded to assured me that the parts that they sold me was proper for a 20R71S Johnson Outboard. I believe the add to which I responded for a starter motor confirms that. That said, I guess I made a mistake. In your opinion, should I keep the Starter Mount and search for another starter motor? The mount that I have fits my engine perfectly. If so, and if I search for another Starter Motor, how should I describe the starter motor. I am reasonably mechanically inclined. I did recondition the Johnson Outboard. It belonged to my Papa and in his honor, I would much rather use it than purchase a new, 2012 Outboard. The '71 starts easily, pumps water, and does all the things I believe it should do. I just want to convert it to electric start. I'm 66 years old and pulling the rope is a pain. I have had several conversations with parts folks and they all sing a different tune. I just don't have the background experience necessary to match the proper parts.

I sincerely appreciate all the help that I have received.

Please continue to help me.

Regards,

Tom

Kimcrwbr1,

The starter bracket that I bought is the following, http://www.ebay.com/itm/110914309808?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 It looks similar to the one you posted but not excatly the same. On the one I have, the mounting holes for starter attachment are tapped and the center-to-center spacing of the mounting holes is 2.25", there is no projction on the clamp half that clamps to, and secures, the control leaver. I intended to put a longer screw thorugh the clamp and put a piece of tubing on the portion of the screw that ectended to the inboard inside of the clamp. It appears to me that the projection is there to keep the magneto wiring out of harms way. The tubing-covered screw would serve the same purpose.

Thanks for your help,

Tom

All too often people just do not listen to straight forward advice from 40 + years of experience !!!!!!!-------Dealing with motors is so easy , but not the folks who own them.--Read post # 2 and post # 4 again .-Perhaps read them over a few times.

racerone,

I apreciate yopu advice and I did not fault it. The bracket that I purchased was advertised to fit an Evinrude/Johnson 15-18-20 hp, with a statement that it came off of an 18 hp Evinrude; the starter motor was advertised to fit a 20 hp Johnson, 1966-1995. I thought I was doing the right thing. And now, I don't know which part is wrong.

Tom

Please read the posts again !!!-------There is absolutely nothing in there that says ----" up to 1995 "----It is all clearly stated !

The bracket for the newer 31 cubic inch motor absolutely does not fit the 22 cubic inch motor !!----------The starter for the 22 cubic inch motor is the same ( fits ) from 58 to the last year. !!!-----------So the issue here is ----THE WRONG STARTER has been purchased !!!!!!!-------Amen.

I would forget piecing it together and continue to keep an eye out for a donor motor. The motor and bracket are only going to cause all sorts of issues about how to wire it all up. forget eBay - look locally

hystat,

I certainly agree that your suggestion is best. Plus, I might end up with additional useful parts. I have been looking locally for 6 months and I finally gave up.

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks. I really don't know which course I will take. But now, thanks to you and your sound advice, I have options.

Regards,

Tom

Hello from Greece,please help me to find the correct bracket and starter for Johnson 20hp year 1985.
The fota is my Johnson
Johnon 20hp.jpg

Back