MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Add Electric Start to 20 hp Johnson Outboard

To All:

I have a 1971 20 hp Johnson Outboard. It's in pristeen condition. The flywheel has teeth on it. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that these teeth are for engagement with an electric starter drive. The model of the motor is 20R71S. Can I add an electric start to this motor? If so, it appears to me that I need the starter motor, a bracket for mounting the starter motor to the engine assembly, a solenoid, a contact switch to energize the solenoid, and various wiring to connect everything. Am I on the right track? If so, can anyone tell me what motor and motor starter motor bracket I need (OMC Part Numbers if possible)? The parts list for my 20R71S shows only a manual starter. What motor's parts breakdown would be applicable to this retrofit for my 20R71S?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Tom

Default Re: Add Electric Start to 20 hp Johnson Outboard

any donor motor ( 22 cubic inch ) from about 1960 up about 1977 will have the parts you need.---------You already have the correct flywheel.----------Look for the electric start models right here above the yellow line for the parts list.

Racerone,

Thank you! Now, how do I determine the engine displacement? None of the 20 hp motors that I looked at had electric start. Please suggest a motor that's applicable.

Thank you very much!

Tom

Any Johnson / Evinrude----------- 18 / 20 / 25 HP ---from 1960 to 1977 !!

Racerone,

Thanks! You are a life saver!

Tom

$268 for the mounting bracket... wow
    guess I did ok picking up a 25 Johnson with a bad lower unit but working electric start for $100 last year

I think searching for a parts motor the best way to go
    Factory Manual Best, Seloc 2nd best, Clymer if you're desperate.

Theres one new on ebay for only $200. :-) If you find a parts motor with a blown powerhead maybe you will get a good spare gearbox also if it already hasent been scavaged.

Thank you. That's just what I needed. I sure can't afford the part in new condition but now I know what I need. I will search for a "parts" ourboard. I will get started.

Thanks,

Tom

To all,

I picked up a starter bracket for $53.00 on E-bay. It looks like it will do the job!

Thanks to all.

Tom

My story continues.

I purchased a starter motor bracket that is supposed to fit a Johnson 15, 18, or 20 hp outboard of the correct vintage. The bracket has a casting number (not part number), of 203736. The bracket fits my motor perfectly.
    Now for the problem.

I purchased a new starter. The starter motor will not mount to my starter bracket. I do not know if I have an incorrect bracket or whether I received the wrong starter motor. The starter bracket fits my outboard motor perfectly. The machined end of the starter (the top end) has a diameter of 2.50" and fits perfectly into the mating area of my bracket which has a machined recess of 2.50" in diameter by 0.110" deep. The problem is the center-to-center distance between the through-bolts of the starter and the center-to-center distance of the mounting holes in the bracked are not the same. The center-to-center distance between the through-bolts on the starter (also used for mounting) is 2.50". The center-to-center distance between the mounting holes in my bracket is 2.25"; therefore, the motor will not mount to my bracket. Please see several photos that I attached to help illustrate the issue (I tried to attach tham - I don't know it it worked).

I believe I can mill out a slot along either side of the bracket, fabricate an upper mounting ring to sit on top of the bracket, make longer through bolts for the starter and mount it. I just need advice on whether I am wasting my time.

I will be very appreciative of any assistance that anyone may be able to offer.

Thanks,

Tom

What was the part # of the new starter and where was it purchased ??

Racerone,

The part number of the starter motor is SAB0109. It was purchased from DB Electrical, Gray, TN. Their Tech Guy told me that the starter motor is correct for the '71 Johnson. They do not carry a motor with 2.25" center-to-center of the through-bolts with a proper drive for my flywheel. I have 15 days to return the starter motor. The clock started on Friday. I don't know whether to hold on to it and look for another bracket or send it back and look for another starter motor. Their website data appears to show that the starter is correct for my 71 Johnson.

It appears that my photos did not attach to the previous e-mail. How should I have attached them? I clicked on the "insert image" icon and downloaded them to a "window" but could not find a way to make them attach to the e-mail.

Tom

I think you have the wrong parts ether the bracket or the starter.-----------------My bet is the starter since the bracket seems to fit perfectly.------------These after market guys are not alway on top of things.

I cant find what that part number crosses to I believe the numbers you want to cross would be ARCO #5376 or 174942 or 175019 you need to match the starter to the mount you cannot use a different mount bracket. http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-JOHN...70f502&vxp=mtr some more numbers with this starter

kimcrwbr1,

The starter I bought, http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-...05%26rk%3D1%26 looks like the one in shown in your link. I'm really getting to wish that I had not started down this trail.

Tom

Hummm to post pics you need to get a photobucket account and upload your pics there and then link them here it is free. Maybe you do have the wrong bracket I did find the SAB0109 and it looks the same as the one as i showed you. On the bracket you have are the bolt holes threaded where the starter mounts? Pics will help

The bolt holes on the bracket are threaded.

It was clearly mentioned that you need a starter for a 22 cubic inch motor !!--Why order from a list that has 31 cubic inches all over it ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVINRUDE-STA...f51775&vxp=mtr Is this your bracket if so that starter should work take the nuts off off the bolts and see if you can bolt the starter up to the bracket. You will nedd to pull the bracket off of the motor. Just a thought I dont see any nuts on the parts diagram on the top of the starter.

We are looking for the right part if you know we would like to hear it!
    Quote Originally Posted by racerone View Post
    It was clearly mentioned that you need a starter for a 22 cubic inch motor !!--Why order from a list that has 31 cubic inches all over it ??

Just look it up for the 22 cubic inch motor -------Not that hard to do!!!

Quote Originally Posted by racerone View Post
    Just look it up for the 22 cubic inch motor -------Not that hard to do!!!
    And that model number would be?

Are you not " familiar " with what a 22 cubic inch motor is ??????????????

racerone,

I'm sorry. I started this whole mess. I know what 22 cubic inches but I can not identify a 22 cubic inch Johnson Engine. I simply tried my best to understand the ads related to motor starters. The folks I responded to assured me that the parts that they sold me was proper for a 20R71S Johnson Outboard. I believe the add to which I responded for a starter motor confirms that. That said, I guess I made a mistake. In your opinion, should I keep the Starter Mount and search for another starter motor? The mount that I have fits my engine perfectly. If so, and if I search for another Starter Motor, how should I describe the starter motor. I am reasonably mechanically inclined. I did recondition the Johnson Outboard. It belonged to my Papa and in his honor, I would much rather use it than purchase a new, 2012 Outboard. The '71 starts easily, pumps water, and does all the things I believe it should do. I just want to convert it to electric start. I'm 66 years old and pulling the rope is a pain. I have had several conversations with parts folks and they all sing a different tune. I just don't have the background experience necessary to match the proper parts.

I sincerely appreciate all the help that I have received.

Please continue to help me.

Regards,

Tom

Kimcrwbr1,

The starter bracket that I bought is the following, http://www.ebay.com/itm/110914309808...84.m1439.l2649 It looks similar to the one you posted but not excatly the same. On the one I have, the mounting holes for starter attachment are tapped and the center-to-center spacing of the mounting holes is 2.25", there is no projction on the clamp half that clamps to, and secures, the control leaver. I intended to put a longer screw thorugh the clamp and put a piece of tubing on the portion of the screw that ectended to the inboard inside of the clamp. It appears to me that the projection is there to keep the magneto wiring out of harms way. The tubing-covered screw would serve the same purpose.

Thanks for your help,

Tom

All too often people just do not listen to straight forward advice from 40 + years of experience !!!!!!!-------Dealing with motors is so easy , but not the folks who own them.--Read post # 2 and post # 4 again .-Perhaps read them over a few times.

racerone,

I apreciate yopu advice and I did not fault it. The bracket that I purchased was advertised to fit an Evinrude/Johnson 15-18-20 hp, with a statement that it came off of an 18 hp Evinrude; the starter motor was advertised to fit a 20 hp Johnson, 1966-1995. I thought I was doing the right thing. And now, I don't know which part is wrong.

Tom

Please read the posts again !!!-------There is absolutely nothing in there that says ----" up to 1995 "----It is all clearly stated !

The 22 cubic inch started at 18hp in the 1957 and had the same block for 18-20 and 25 hp models I will check they made electric start in the earlier 18hp engines BRB. By the way you do have the correct starter for the early 70s 25hp 22 cubic inch motor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast