Logo

30in shaft 25 in transom???

sea nymph12

hi guys i have a 1992 21ft kentcraft. its has an 86 merc 200 that has given us some problems, so i went out and bought a 1999 250 merc 30 inch shaft. my old motor was a 25 inch shaft. the boat is a 25 in transom. i was wondering if the 30 in shaft would work on my boat if i just raised the motor up on the bolt holes. or should i build up the transom. all advice will be taken greatly. thanks Dan

The rule is thatwater exiting the bottom of the hull, when on the plane should not be flowingover the top of the anti-ventilation plate, but just below it, this reduces drag onthe lower unit. When the anti-ventilation plateis in line with the very bottom of the hull, this is Standard. The engine can be raised 1 in.above standard for every 10 MPH above 40MPH. For every 12 in. the outboard is behind the transom (such as on a motor extension mount),the engine can be raised 1 in. above standard(standard being that the anti-ventilation plate is in line with the bottom ofthe hull.)

If you can set it up to comply by these "rules" then it will work. If not, you have three options - (1) get a 25" lower unit, (2) install a jack plate that will raise it enough, or (3) install a motor extension that will allow you to raise the motor to specs.

Just re-read this post. Spell-checker failed - it's an anti-cavitation plate, not anti-ventilation plate! Jeeez!

Back