Logo

1997 60hp Mercury first lost reverse then lost forward? HELP! :-)

Beanholio

Greetings all and thank you in advance for any words of wisdom. My 60hp Merc lost reverse a few trips ago and forward worked just fine. Then went to launch her and forward went out. When I try to move the throttle in either direction it is very difficult to move. The rpm's come up a little and I can only move it maybe 25% of normal travel. I can keep it in neutral and the engine revs up like a champ. It does not go into either gear. When I push up on the throttle there is no grinding sounds it just stops? I can see the cable actuating back and forth on the side of the motor. Is it something past that point? Linkage? Control box? dog pawl? These are all things I have seen mentioned on other posts( all of which are a foreign language to me) or maybe stretched cables?. Actually had another boat years ago that had the same problem. Lost reverse for a good amount of time and then like magic it came back and lasted for years? Want to get her back on the water and was looking for any advice. Thank you so much hope to hear something.

The cables could be seized. The shift/throttle assy. may need lubed. There should be a friction adjustment screw on the shift/throttle assy.

Last edited:
The cables could be seized. The shift/throttle assy. may need lubed. There should be a friction adjustment screw on the shift/throttle assy.

Thank you for the reply. The cable moves because I can see it moving where it meets the motor(the piece it moves does seem to move pretty easily???). I did pop the plate off the front of the throttle assemblyy and all seemed happy inside no corrosion evident. I figured because I lost reverse then forward, something may have come loose somewhere initially then as it got looser it affected forward as well? Not even sure if that is possible? AAARRGGHHH! My buddy thought I might have a snapped cable cause they still work one way when you push the break together. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to take her in just want an idea of what may be wrong so I can act a little knowledgeable when I bring it it. Thank you to any and all who chime in!

Back