Logo

1995 115hp Evinrude on Turbo jet...How do I put a garden hose on it....

HuntleyBlll

I was hoping to find out how to run the motor in my driveway using a garden hose. Because this is a jet, I was told that doing so could ruin the jet. Is that true?

If not, what is the procedure for hooking a hose to the engine/drive to be able to run the motor?

Thank you
Bill

BTW..this drive is in a 1995 Four Winns 14" Fling in case that is imprtant.

Apparently there is a special adapter to hook up a garden hose , but------------It is my understanding that is just to fire it up for a check.---------Not meant for prolonged running / testing / adjusting.-----Also they must idle at 1200 RPM in the water for proper cooling.---------Are you having issues with the motor to want to check it in the driveway ?------------There are issues with these motors breaking piston rings.----Locally there are 2 ads from people looking for replacement " outboard blocks " for their turbo jets and good luck to them.

I just purchased this boat and before I drag it up to the lake...pay the launch fee...I want to make sure the engine works. Also, in the service manual, page 1-20 "off season storage" , the first step is to run the engine for 5 min. @ 1500 RPM to ensure that the carburetors have stabilized fuel. It even tells you in a "Note: Use a flushing adapter if you want to run the engine on trailer.....to prevent engine damage".

I want to make sure it is ok to run it on the trailer. If anyone has done it. What kind of adapter they used, and where they attached it. So far /i havent been able to find that in the service manual.

See a dealer and buy the adapter. ---Or buy it from this site ----------437021---------------What were / are the results of a compression test ?--------Had to rebuild my machine as it had broken piston rings, so common with these motors caused by the way they are operated.

Last edited:
Jet boats are usually seen at idle / full throttle / idle / full throttle / idle / full throttle -----rarely anything inbetween.----So that constant acceleration again and again is tough on these motors.----I suggest a compression test on it.---------Lots of these boats on the market with problems.

What would the symptoms be if there were broken rings in the motor. The previous owner says there is nothing wrong with this motor. It was winterized last year in perfect working order and has sat since. I'm not sure that I would have an issue with rings. As I said, I just wanted to be sure it ran ok before dragging it to a lake. I got concerned with people telling me NOT to run it unless it is in the water, I wanted to know from a person or persons who've had this motor as to their experiences running this motor on the trailer. Could very well be there is no issue at all. I'll launch the boat and it will run perfectly.

Back