Logo

Prop Ptich/Diameter Question

tboltmike

Regular Contributor
I have a 2009 130 ETEC on my 17.4' by 7' beam trihull. Total weight engine, fuel, persons, gear is about 1700 lbs.

I am using the prop from the original 1975 115 HP Johnnie, 13" x 17"p, 3 blade stainless. That engine WOT was about 5200 rpm and 38 mph.

This prop on the ETEC pushes 45 mph at 5800 rpm.

Used the propeller wizard on this site and it is recommending a 13.25 dia with either 23 or 21 inch pitch.

This seems like a drastic change.

Most of my cruising is between 30 and 35, but do enjoy occasional speed blasts.

Do you have a size pitch recommendation?

Thanks, Mike

Maybe I gave too much information.

I just thought the prop wizard gave a larger diameter and 4 to 6 inches more pitch given the rpm's that I stated. Wanted to make sure before ordering a new prop. I have been using the same prop on the old 115 and the new 130 engines on the same boat. Thought the two data points would help confirm the proper pitch.
Thanks, Mike

ETEC 130 specs state WOT 5500-6000 rpm, so if your asking me, the 21 would drop your rpm to 5200 rpm, to low and lugging, the 23 even worse. if i did anything, if it was mine, i would go to the 13.25 dia 17. now you didnt state if it was alum or stainless, if your stainless use these numbers, if your alunium use these numbers, if you want to go from a 17 alunium to a stainless drop to a 13.25x 15 or 16 pitch to keep the 5800 rpm. JMO i by no means am a pro

Be happy with what you already have if you want an all round good prop. you can go faster top speed by going up to the 21 or maybe the 23, but your hole shot will suffer big time. as posted your revs will come down a touch, but the e-tec 130 can easy swing a 21 pitch prop if its the right type, but again hole shot will suffer..personaly I would check the name and size on this prop your using and look out for another going cheap on fleabay so you have a good spare.you should have a 15 spline propshaft, if so there is thousands to choose from and the max I would go is a 14x21 raker prop, or 13.5x 21 renegade 4 blade. 23 will kill too many revs unless you go down in diameter to a 12 3/4 x 23. that's just my opinion. phill

Back