Logo

Water in engine oil after busted clamp

sheehyjo

This weekend on the way back in my boat 2006 246 Chaparal w/ 350 MAG Mpi wont go back on plane after coming off to tend to a sleeping kid on board. I gave it gas to go back on plane but the engine wasn't giving enough to get back up (i'm not sure what RPM or speed). I went back into neutral and opened the engine compartment to see water coming in. While it seemed like a treamendous amount at the time, after calming down and looking at where the high water mark left a line, it seems like it was about 6 inches or so. The water leaked only when the engine was running and quickly was pumped out and stayed dry the rest of the way home while under tow. When i got towed back to my dock, I fired her up and found the source of the leak which was a broken clamp on the hose coming out of my water pump, as it went into a 3 way diverter.

I've replaced the clamp and washed the engine down with fresh water to get as much salt out as possible. It's now dried out for a few days, but it looks like some water got into the engine oil, as when i checked the dipstick, I could see droplets on the length of the stick. I would like to suction out the oil but wasn't sure what the best procedure would be to get most, if not all, of the oil out. Should I run the engine for a short time just prior to extracting the oil? Or is there something that can be put into the oil to help rid it of water? I don't believe that the oil level was effected significantly, so i don't think there is a lot of water.

Finally, what else should i look at prior to starting her up and what do i look for once she is running?

Thanks,

John

i checked the dipstick, I could see droplets on the length of the stick.
That could be from combustion if the thermostat is not allowing the engine to reach normal operating temp...make sure it is working properly. Don't see where the engine would have sucked water into it w/only 6" of water in the bilge. Just suck out the oil, change the filter and add fresh oil. Look at what came out if you can. If it is milky then there is some water in the oil. Pour some in a small tall bottle and let it separate out to see if it is contaminated. Measure the discharged contents to see how much water came out vs. the engine's oil capacity. Run the engine to heat the oil and residual moisture will cook off and come out the crankcase vent. Repeat the drain/refill process if needed.

Pressurized water from a leaking hose on the sea water pump hosed down the engine wetting everything. Including the dipstick which was not seated all the way.

Back