Logo

Crusader 454 Model 350 Transmission Reversal Question

S

sunnybermuda

"Good day - My mechanic replac

"Good day - My mechanic replaced my starboard engine which was an opposite rotating engine with a standard rotating engine. I'm not certain what transmission the 1985 Crusader came with.., Borg Warner?? but he rigged it to run fowards while the transmission is actually running in reverse. Is this even possible with this early style transmission??

Shawn"

"borg warner gears(velvet

"borg warner gears(velvet drive) can be set up to run either direction by reversing the pump. however the prop must be changed to match. running in reverse is not a good idea. clutches will not hold up, and reduction different. others can be run in either direction. try to get some numbers from the gear and post."

"It depends on what model you

"It depends on what model you have. The 5000 series is bidirectional with no modifications needed. In fact, there is no LH or RH model designation, you simply run one in forward and one in reverse. The modification your mechanic made may have been merely changing the shift cable configuration. Again, it depends on what model you have."

"I would go back to the start

"I would go back to the start and have the proper engine installed, if he ordered it he's responsible. Save the headaches, you asked and paid for the job to be done right."

"IF--repeat--IF the trans was

"IF--repeat--IF the trans was also changed to one that has a reversing gear inside (so it turns the prop shaft the other direction) than you are in good shape--reverse rotating engines are out of fashion and will someday be unobtainable.

BUT--big "but"--if both of your props turn the same way, now, you will have a hell of a time slipping and running the boat. If that's the case, either the engine or trans will need to be pulled changed.

As Scott pointed out, the trans can be set up to run either direct (as in my boat), but the props MUST turn in opposite directions.

Jeff"

"I have a big problem.
My bor

"I have a big problem.
My borg warner 2.49:1 ratio (in fwd) transmission burned up as there was a faulty oil/fluid cooler that allowed water to get into the trans. It is totally fried!!
My question is: can I replace my 1989 borg warner #1005-000-005 (72c) with a #1004-085-905 trans.?
My Gear box is okay...but will it connect to this replaced trans.?

Supposedly, My transmission portion is number 1005-410-001 and my gear box number is 1308-410-005."

Post Script.....
It is my por

Post Script.....
It is my port engines tranny that burned up. would that be a clockwise oil pump rotation or counterclockwise rotation?

"Please clearify if 72series V

"Please clearify if 72series Velvet V-drive can change direction, if so how?? My Tech wants to simply change prop's one left hand and one right hand."

Back