Logo

CUMMINS 6 BTA 5,9 water inside of engine

ALAR

Hello,the engine are running well when i stoped him.After two weeks when i want to start,its running very hardly,like battery is flat.But battery is ok.I found obaut 9 liters water on the oilbottom of engine.I think its seawater.I fill its out, but engine still not started.Please tell my,how its possible to seawater come to inside the engine?

If it happened while the engine was sitting in the boat not running, possibilities might be- blown head gasket, 'failed' water trap on exhaust, leaky after-cooler. Not too many places where the oil and sea water come close to each other with the engine not running, and some of them shouldn't leak when not running unless they are below water level. The number one suspect I would check would be the after-cooler, but it hard to tell without knowing what happened in more detail.

Thanks for reply.I found the problem.There was broken seawater pump impeller and the exhaust after the water trap was also broken. The water level on the exhaust was so high then water comes back in engine exhaust mainfold (valves and pistons) and turbocharger oil output (strate on the oil bottom). I fix this problems and now engine runs well.

Happy you got it sorted. Your engine must be quite low in the hull for the water to flow in that way with the boat just sitting still, but I have heard of it happening before. Usually seems to be caused by large waves washing against the back of the boat and a badly designed, or missing, water trap setup.

Back