Logo

1990 40 Hp Mariner, two cylinder, longshaft S/N problem.

Hello,

I have a 1990 40 Hp Mariner, twin cylinder, longshaft. I am trying to track down a driveshaft part number for this engine and every website I go on for a parts breakdown requires a S/N, which I have, but it doesn't work when I put it in, or its not in the right format.

Here is what is on the S/N tag plate:

code:6E9L
s/n: 352740
40ML

Can anybody help with this, there must be website out there somewhere which will give me the correct diagrams and OEM part numbers....

Thanks,

Something not quite right there, I know the motor was purchased brand new in 1990 and also the s/n fits in the 1990 range in the following website that you sent me the link for:
http://www.storesonline.com/site/573683/page/608047

So if it is a 1990, is it still a carbon copy of a Yamaha 40FM? Also looking for the correct drawings and OEM part numbers so I can order the correct parts, can you direct me to a site which shows these??

Thanks for your help, what a bloody nightmare looking for a few parts.

What exactly is the problem with it? Or are you just (wisely) trying to line up a good manual?

It's an older design Yamaha, if that helps.

Jeff

I need stronger specs. You are correct,
40 ML6E9-352311 - 6E9-3550801990
The switch to 6F9 and then the US numbers caught me.:eek::eek: But the part numbers remain the same for the 6E9.
"More haste,less speed" as they say.
If you bring up all the 6E9 xxxxxx ML/EL,regardless of year,as far as I can see,the part numbers are the same.I didn't cross ref. all the numbers on all the 6E9 code,but a fair few.

Thanks for all your help, I know what parts diagram's to use now........I spent an hour the phone with a mercury parts guys and he had get the paper hard copies out of past S/N's to track it down...He was very helpful and had good things to say about this site. All the S/N's did not get transferred to thier computer data base....

Regards,

All the S/N's did not get transferred to thier computer data base....
For some reason it seems most of the merc dealers don't know to add two zeros in front of the serial number. When a dealer is looking up a serial number like yours 6E9L 352740 in some cases all they need to do is try adding two zeros in front of the number like this 00352740. Had they known to do this, they would have pulled up engine serial number 00352740 Model number 7040211SU MARINER SANSHIN NA 40 ML. Engine Manufacture Date was on 07/01/1989 making this engine a 1990 year model.

Now for the cool part, In some cases you don't need to call a merc dealer everytime you want engine info, just input your serial number in this link below and usually your engine information may come up. 00352740
https://webapps.brunswick.com/literature/literatureUnsecureHrp.do

Hope this helps.:)

Back