Logo

Two TAMD 41As connected to Velvet Drive to a Thermo Elect Corp V Drive, both same rotation, but

bobt

Contributing Member
Need expert help or else I'm going to have to change out a prop. I have Swedish twins (pair of Volvo Diesel TAMD 41As) both turn the same direction. However, the seller of the boat forgot to tell me he had installed counter rotating props... I remover the old TAMD40A engines and installed the 41As.
Cranked up one at a time the other day and put one at a time in gear. When I put the Port engine in Fwd, I started moving Aft. I figued no big thing, just control rigging, but was wrong.
Too few clutch plates in reverse to run it in reverse all the time, just so the prop will push fwd.

Now I do have the Thermo Electron Engine Corp V-drives and am wondering if one of these can be geared to run in opposite direction. Both the Velvet Drive and the V drives can be run in either direction, but as far as I can see, neither will reverse direction... It would require a different rotating engine to properly push fwd.

The Velvet drive can accept either direction engines, simply turn the pump 180 degrees, but that just directs the oil flow, and the pump must be in direction of engine rotation. So, that only leaves the V-drive or the prop.

I really don't want to change out the prop, but if yall can't help the cajan with a better solution, I'm jumping over board and removing the prop, that is if I can see thru the muddy bayou water.

Looking for help, Thanks
Bayou Bob TheRiot

Back