Logo

Intermediate Shaft Bearing Removal

Nick Martin

I have a Volvo 4 cyl Diesel AD31L-A coupled to 2007 Volvo Penta DP-E Duoprop outdrive. I am looking to replace the ball bearing on the primary shaft coming from the flywheel housing. Can I do this with the engine/flywheel housing still intact in the boat? Is there some sort of shaft puller I can use from the stern? I am commercial fisherman losing money daily on this, speedy responses would be a GREAT help! thanks.

Hey yall,

Someone help this guy... I would, but don't know. Surely someone out there knows. This guy need help, money, guns and lawers. Fast.

BobT

Strangely enough a have a DP-E in parts out of a boat right now. Don't have to do the bearing you are referring to though, so these are just thoughts rather than comments based on experience.

According to the parts diagram, as you look into the rear of the flywheel housing there are - a Sealing Ring, a Bush, 2 Retaining Rings, and then the bearing. From the drawing it looks to me as if they may be designed to be installed from the engine side of the flywheel housing, which means pulling the housing off. The only thing that suggests that they may come out through the rear of the housing is the location of the retaining rings. If you can pull the Sealing Ring and Bush, you should be able to access the Retaining Rings and remove them. If they come out, the bearing should be able to be removed by pulling the shaft. Sorry I can't help more as I am not at work where the drive and engine are sitting for me to inspect.

After you remove the drive, and coupler (round adapter in middle of transom shield with 6 bolts and massive rubber O-ring behind it), you can just remove seal, and under it is C-clip that holds the shaft and bearings. C-clip is recessed into bellhousing, and you need proper C-clip pliers to remove it

When reinstalling seal you might want to flip it around so it prevents seawater from entering....factory orientation prevents grease from leaking out, but i never understood why it that more important?

Back