Logo

05 Bayliner

doug_k

I bought a 05 Bayliner 3.0 Mer

I bought a 05 Bayliner 3.0 Mercruiser with 25 hrs. The previous owner never had the 20 hr service. I changed the oil. Is there anything else I should do? It runs great.
THANKS

"Hello Doug:

You would want

"Hello Doug:

You would want to check/drain out the entire volume of drive oil. Look for discolored drive oil and water. Milky oil means you have water in the out drive and a seal or seals need to be replaced. Check the lower magnet screw for metal particales. It is possible you may see a little metal fuzz on the screw. That is no big deal. You just do not want to see a lot chips of metal. That would be a sign that your MerCrusier Service Center needs to have a look at the lower gear housing.

Pull the prop off and inspect the prop shaft. Look for fishing line that may be wrapped around the prop shaft and remove it if you see it. Fishing line will distroy the propshaft seal on the lower unit. Re-grease the prop shaft and re-install the prop.

Some folks will actually have a MerCrusier Service Center pull the outdrive off the boat and check the drive shaft allinment with a special tool.

You should also shoot a little Mercury Marine Gimbal Bearing grease on all the grease fittings including the engine cuppler inside the boat. The cuppler is on the very back side of the engine near the transom. This is where the drive shaft come through the back of the boat. It is important to keep that lubed up.

Take care,

T."

Back