Logo

Volvo DP-C1 Power Steering too easy to turn after Steering Cable/Rack replacement.

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Gang,
I recently replaced the rack style cable steering on my Albemarle 24 with the same set up; the cable and helm were binding. I used a kit from Teleflex. I now find that the steering is much too light or easy to turn. It feels as if it is not connected to the drive. In reality it works perfectly. The old style helm had an external friction screw beneath the steering wheel which could be tightened to add friction to the system. The new set up no longer has this screw. I could put a cable clamp onto the new cable and tighten it to achieve the same result. What I would like to know is whether there is an adjustment on the Volvo power steering ram that I can make to decrease the power assist?

Thank You
Jon Allen

Jon, I'd not use any type of cable clamp to create resistance. That will wear the cable at that particular clamping location.
Nor do I believe there is any adjustment to the slave valve that would reduce the "assist".... not to my knowlegde, anyway.
To change the sensativity of the slave valve, I think that the spring pressure would need to be increased.
Perhaps the pump itself could have it's pressure reduced internally.

I'll also bet that the lower unit does not have a trim tab/torque fin installed. These are often omitted when power assist steering is used.
My thoughts are; all drive components are still undergoing this steer torque, we just don't feel it at the helm wheel.
I'd install a trim tab/torque fin, and would adjust it best I could.
It won't help with your issue, but it will relieve the components from this unwanted torque and premature wear.

Funny thing is, I don't typically hear anyone complain about steering that is too easy.
Usually it's a complaint re; stiff steering!

Edit:
I wonder if a 4WD Off Road shop would know how to tweak an assist cylinder slave valve?
These systems are very much like the first automobile power steering systems prior to the hydraulics being in the actual steering box.

Last edited:
Hi Ricardo,
Thanks for the quick reply. It turns out that Teleflex offers a friction kit for the helm. Basically, it is a collar that fits around the helm steering shaft that's incorporates a threaded screw which can be tightened to create a drag on the shaft. It used to be included with some of their helms. It now has become an option. It is amazing how tight the original steering had become after many yrs of saltwater exposure. I still have not gotten my PDS puller back from that clown. Live and learn.

Thanks,
Jon

Back