Logo

mercury 150 offshore 2 stroke won't start

Shelley Keller

just ran 2 weeks ago, haven't touched anything in meantime. Took it to lake went through 2 batteries trying to start boat with no success. Getting spark, fuel looks good other than it looks a little oily. plugs don't look fouled, fuel in fuel bowls, throttle linkages working, not flooding, good starter cranking, just put 20 gallon of gas in.

Did you check the safety thingy on the control box (the throttle/shifter) that you hook up to your life jacket. You do wear a life jacket, don't you???BF

Have you tried starting fluid? I have an old 115 merk and had to spray that in the carbs to get it fired up when it was cold. I eventually had to rebuild the carbs because it just would not start.

This is actually the only way I have gotten it to turn over, w starter fluid. But, it just doesn't make sense there are 3 carbs. this is not an old beat up engine. Its in great shape and well taken care of and just fired up with no problem 2 weeks ago. There is simply no reason that I can think of that they would all 3 would fail. It should be turning over at the very least.

All three don't need to fail. You could have a stuck float in one carb and it would mess everything up. If it ran two weeks ago fine it sound like a fuel pump issue or an air leak in a fuel line. The fuel pump is pretty simple and cheep to fix with the rebuild kit Sounds like some type of fuel problem if it will start with starting fluid. Heres what you need to check if it starts with starting fluid then dies out. fuel pump, air leak in a fuel line, bad primer bulb, fuel filter, bad fuel....check all those before worring about the carbs.If you don't have a repair book get one because it tells how to test for all of this... When I was having this problem I pretty much replaced all of the above with no avail before rebuilding the carbs. After i did that it ran great. Also Just throwing it out thier but is your gas on and your gas tank vent open?

Back