Logo

1974 Chrysler 45hp won't start

kapa77

I recently bought a boat with a 45hp chrysler. After a bit of work, I got her running well, and we had the maiden voyage today. She ran great for quite a while. We stopped to swim for a bit, and then when I went to fire it back up, it started, but quickly stalled. Tried again, and same thing. Tried one or two more times, and then it quit even trying. I have plenty of power, gas, etc. What I came to find out is that it wasn't actually coming all the way out of gear when I thought it was, so I must have been attempting to start it in gear. I'm thinking this tripped/blew some safety or fuse or something to protect the starter/ignition. Anyone familiar with this? I'm sure it's simple, but I'm kinda new to all of this.

Thanks in advance!
Alan

No safety or override on that motor.
It does have a neutral safety switch.If in gear it won't allow it to turn over.
Do a compression and spark test.
Clean the carb and make sure the diaphram in the pump is ok.J

Thanks for the tip J - I just need to get to know the motor & shift/throttle nuances a bit better. After I confirmed it was in neutral, it fired right up. I couldn't find coils for this motor anywhere. Went to like 6 different stores/marinas. Then some oldtimer down in Ohio told me to use genaric car coils. Worked like a charm, and now the thing runs great! Does that raise any flags for you, or should those coils last like the OEM ones?

Ok Jerry, new one for you: Everything's been fine with the motor - been out a few times now. Tried pulling the kids skiing today, and I screwed something up. It'll work ok under low load, and even slowly get up on an almost-plane, but under any significant load, the engine revs, and I lose all propulsion. Sheer pin? Shredded lower unit? As always, thanks in advance for your insights.
Alan

Makes sense Jerry. I've looked a ton online already, and have been to my local West Marine store. Seems like a tough prop to find - any suggestions?

e-bay or this site sells them.
The local Mercury dealer.
Just take your old to the dealer.They can get it rehubbed.
What size?? Should have some #s someplace on it somewhere????

Back