Logo

Puddle Drain Chrysler 45

I bought a 1979 Chrysler 45 and after some blood, sweat and tears, I've got her running ok. I took the
whole gang out and we cruised around the lake nice and slow. Then when I started to line her up with
the dock she started blubbering and missing and trying to die. Well, after we docked I read the manual
and it say's, "the puddle drain system is very important and must be drained, especially after lots of low
speed cruising". And it has a picture of a hand reaching under the engine to do it. But I can't get my hand under the engine, and what would I do if I could? Anybody got a clue about puddle drain?? :eek:
(The next day it ran ok after some tinkering)

Never heard of it???
But that doesn't mean it's not there.
Set the air screw? In to the bottom.Then out 1 turn.
Start and warm up.In the water in gear.
Turn in till it starts to choke,stutter,stall or miss.
Then back out 1/2 turn.
Make sure the carb is clean and the fuel pump diaphram is ok.J

The puddle drain isn't meant to be a manual adjustment item. It's purpose is to automatically drain liquid fuel that accumulates in the crankcase when running at slower speeds. it's essentially a one way valve on each half of the crankase, and it drains the fuel into the exhaust down the leg. If these valves get plugged up, then they need to be cleaned or replaced. There should be two small rubber hoses at the bottom of the crankcase that go to a little aluminum rectangular block. The aluminum block is the puddle valves.

Back