Logo

BF2 carb flooding

ken2cross

I have a BF2 S/N BZBK 2100000 series and the carb floods whenever I turn on the gas. It has very few hours on it.
I disassembled and cleaned the carb and tank.
I replaced the float valve
I just replaced the float (thinking it may have fuel inside)
So far no help.

I can remove the bowl and the fuel shuts off securely by raising the float up. When I attach the bowl (with the top plate removed)
I can see the float rise up when I apply fuel but keeps filling until it runs out of the barrel.

This shouldn't be this difficult. It's a simple float carb.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

You say you have replaced valve, but you give no mention of the condition of the seat. If it is "etched" or has a nick or piece of debris stuck to it, a new valve can't seal. Like you say, there's not much there so what else could it be?
I'll be very interested in what you come up with for a solution.
Good luck.

You say you have replaced valve, but you give no mention of the condition of the seat. If it is "etched" or has a nick or piece of debris stuck to it, a new valve can't seal. Like you say, there's not much there so what else could it be?
I'll be very interested in what you come up with for a solution.
Good luck.

First, thanks for your reply.
I can't see anything wrong with the seat. I tried shooting cleaner through it both directions and stuffed a cotton swab in and rotated it. It came out clean.

I had hoped others had seen this and had a simple fix. I hate to go to the expense of a new carb.
I've already got about $56 in parts in this one and it still floods. I'm guessing the engine has less than 20 hours on it.

Ken

Ok, if the valve is good and the seat is good then it can ONLY be one of two things. The most UNLIKELY is that the carburetor inlet is somehow cracked or damaged in some way so that the fuel is bypassing the valve.

What I suspect that it is though, is that the valve is simply not contacting the seat firmly enough to prevent the fuel from continuing to come in after the float has reached the top of the chamber.

To test this theory, you would need to "over" adjust the float tab to contact and push the valve into it's seat prematurely. This will cause a "lean" or low fuel condition but should prevent flooding. When you've convinced yourself that it won't flood in this way, then you can begin "backing off" the tab setting until you find a happy medium and fuel level for your float chamber.

This is pretty much all I can think of to try at this point. I have seen many a carb that won't run correctly with the "factory" float setting and some experimentation is required.

The only other thing I have ever encountered like this was when a guy substituted a high pressure electric fuel pump in place of the mechanical original and increased the fuel pressure to the carburetor from 4 psi to 45!

I hope this helps you.
Good luck.

I think I have it solved now. The float and valve is a problem: It has fixed dimensions so it can't be adjusted.
I elongated the hinge pin holes for the float in the upward direction so the float would shut off the fuel at a lower level in the bowl.
Since it always ran well while running the fuel out of the bowl, I figured the float level isn't all that critical.
Then I used a soldering pencil and melted the plastic on the upper part of the holes to force the hinge into the elongated part of the hole.
It seemed to work. Now it doesn't flood when I turn on the gas. I stuck it in a garbage can full of water and it seems to run ok.
It still seems crazy to me that such a modification would be needed. The only alternative I could figure out was to replace the whole carb.
Ken

Well, probably not the way I would have made a change but I don't believe in arguing too hard with success.

It sounds as if the valve itself was just too short. If the original was doing the same thing though I'm not sure.

I could see you getting or being given the incorrect valve. Or Honda has a problem there in their supply line for that carburetor.

Congratulations for coming up with a solution and thanks for posting your results. It might help someone else with the same malfunction real soon.

Back