Logo

2008 Merc 60/40 Jet 4 stroke EFI loss of power

dsluck

Hello been a viewer for awhile and this is my first post. I seem to be struggling with a bit of an issue with power loss. I have a 16 foot alumacraft with a 60/40 hp jet EFI four stroke outboard. I bought this boat new back in 2008 and have used it and serviced it every season. I seem to be having some issues with power loss lately. I noticed some issues at the end of last years season where I would normally be able to plane off I find myself struggling and only plowing water. I do a lot of river fishing and haven't had any issues like this in the past. I took my boat to the local mech and had him go over everything. His first thoughts are ethanol and he went through the standard service stuff. Change plugs oil etc.. Fresh gas and fuel treatment and they shimmed the impeller. He said other than that everything looks good. They lake tested the boat but it was only one person and it ran fine but they don't really have a bench mark to test from since they never ran it when it was new. The best way to describe the issue is if the boat was overloaded and just didn't have enough power to get it out of the water. If I have two people in the boat including myself and I have the other person sit up front I can usually plane off. If they are in the back forget it. Like I said back when I got this new I had no issues with three people and gear in the boat and it would come right out of the water with little to no issues. Is this just the motor getting old I'd hate to think since it's only a couple years old I would hope it's just getting broken in and performance might increase (unfortunately not the case). Other things I have contemplated are possible injector issues. Motor runs great at idle and all through the throttle just doesn't seem to have the get up and go it once had. I am sure I am missing something so please feel free to inquire further. I appreciate any responses and thank you ahead of time.

Thank you
Dan

Back