Logo

About to do Exhaust manifolds on a Chrysler 340 any tips?

what spark plugs and wires do you all prefer?

You should start on new thread but we've been here several times......

Regardless of what you think of Champions... Old Chrysler's Luv them....RN14YC.

Wires....??? Made in U.S.A

..... and before you you ask.... 15w-40 diesel oil w/ API CI-4 for pre-2007 engines

Got to disagree on using petcock drains (on RWCooled motors). Rust can easily plug them, which requires unscrewing them to get the water out.

On mine, I have brass plugs (six per motor) that all take a 9/16 " socket. Most are easy to get to, except the outside block drains.

Jeff

I've gone one step further than Jeff, I drilled & tapped the block to accept a bigger plug, so I installed brass flanges that the brass plugs then screw into, the advantage of this is the two dissimalar metals, the brass & cast iron are not constantly being tightened & loosened, causing the threads to wear, on the other hand the brass on brass can be undone & tightened over & over with no damage to the threads
Pete.

This thead is from a year ago..... looks like we've resurected it. :D

Got to disagree on using petcock drains (on RWCooled motors). Rust can easily plug them, which requires unscrewing them to get the water out. .
Jeff, maybe I'm not following you.
Don't most all of these fall into the category of "petcocks" or "draincocks" ?

Rust scale is what we're after when we probe the drain ports. With the completely removeable stop, it's much easier and more likely that we'll have access to the rust scale... IMO, that is.

These are sold right here via ME.com.
The stop is completely removeable, and the body and stop are brass or bronze.

Last edited:
Oh! Didn't realize the stopper came out.

The radiator type have a tiny passage that goes through them when they are open--and the stopper does NOT come out.

Jeff

The radiator type have a tiny passage that goes through them when they are open-- and the stopper does NOT come out.
Yep, that's why we can't probe with that style, unless the entire valve is removed.

Even so..... there's no guarantee that the port will remain open and clear. I always keep an eye on how much sea water comes out.
Sometimes is takes 2 or 3 probings.

These engine block drain ports actually need to be the next size larger.

Last edited:
Back