Logo

25M notchy shift

altitude

Okay this is not really a problem,but I like to see potential issues from far away.
I just changed the lower unit oil and now when I shift into reverse theres a little notchy feel,sorta like its not completely synchronized,on top of the gear cog thing.
Is this normal and I never really noticed? Or is there trouble on the horizon.
thanks a bunch

The shift linkage operates a v-shaped cam, which does indeed have "notches" in it. If the motor is not running, there is a distinct possibility that the clutch dog may not fully engage when going into reverse. Your description sounds OK to me.

Thanks Paul Im a little relieved.
Motor was on the muffs and running when I noticed this. I thought maybe it was the switch to full synth gear oil but even with a looonnng pause between F-N-R it still does it.
But who uses reverse on the Bay of Fundy anyhow?
Im gonna keep an eye on the oil and look for metal after each trip.

Even Tohatsu motors aren't setup with a 60' vertical thrust for the tides of Fundy :)

Keep in mind that the proper way to shift is to Briskly engage the gear, and then accelerate. Don't "ease" the shifter into gear, or you risk damage to the clutch dog and gears from chatter. When the motor is on muffs, there isn't any drag on the prop, and in fact, sometimes, the prop will turn a little, even in N, because of the viscous nature of the gear oil. So it's typical to get a little chatter when shifting when on muffs. BTW, Full syn gear oil is OK; any good SAE 90 hypoid lube is fine as well. Just don't use the old type C gear lubes, which are intended for the old electric-shift OMC motors.

Back