Logo

Remote Control Unit

pissnoff

"I have a 175hp Evinrude that

"I have a 175hp Evinrude that has never missed a beat, it had not been used or started since January until I recently started preparing it for use.
It started up first go & ran faultlessly as it always has, however after about 20 seconds the control box alarm went off, it was not overheating & pumping water fine.
The VRO has been disconnected for 2 years & has never presented a problem & there does not appear to be any fuel restrictions.

After turning the engine off a couple of minutes later I decided to leave it for the next day.

When I turned on the ignition the following day the alarm was still sounding without even starting the motor.
I let it the alarm continue to sound without actually starting the motor & eventually it faded out to nothing.
I then started it & again after a short time it started to beep.
I thought I would take a look inside the contol box & possibly replace the alarm however while I was dismantling it I accidentally dropped a screwdriver on the ignition switch which created only a small spark but it was enough short someting out & render the whole unit powerless, nothing on it works including the power tilt & trim.

Can anyone help me fix both of these problems or give me an idea where to start
question.gif

Thanks
Mick"

"Thanks Scott

Sorry but I&#

"Thanks Scott

Sorry but I'm not that farmiliar with outboard motors (cars/bikes no problem), I have followed the cables back to the motor looking for any signs of an inline fuse.
I have also traced the cables around the motor to where they connect on the power head.
Please forgive my lack of knowledge on outboards but am I looking for something that may look different to a standard automotive fuse?

Thank
Mick"

"it will be an inline fuse &#4

"it will be an inline fuse (buss type) in a large red wire.(#10/12)usually somewhere near start solenoid. can't say exactly where as You have not specified a year, or model number."

"Yep you were right, I was exp

"Yep you were right, I was expecting it the fuse to be a little bigger (same thing my wife said to me on our wedding night).

Once I figured out what was causing them to blow, everything was back to normal.

As for the alarm, it seems to have rectified itself for the moment, I will be going for a run this weekend so I guess I'll find out then.

Thanks for your help Scott
Cheers
Mick"

Back