Logo

Replace 221 ci Ford V8 Penta with Mercruiser

bobwinkel

I have a shot '64 Ford 221 with Eaton outdrive. Cost of rebuilding motor is prohibitive. Would like to pull entire unit and replace with Mercruiser 305 and outdrive. What problems can I expect to run into?
Thanks.
Bob

Just for general info, the 221,260,289 and 302 fords all shared the same basic block, just stroke and bore increases. The 351 windsor was also the same block but with larger heads and a narrower intake.Might be able to find one of those a lot cheaper than the other choices.Not familiar with eaton outdrives so no idea how they would stand up to the increase in horsepower.

I have a shot '64 Ford 221 with Eaton outdrive. Cost of rebuilding motor is prohibitive. Would like to pull entire unit and replace with Mercruiser 305 and outdrive. What problems can I expect to run into?
Thanks.
Bob

Ayuh,.... Sounds like a standard complete refit, much like yankin' an ole stringer, 'n droppin' in a Merc...

Remove everything that's there,...
Rebuild all the rot ya find, 'n fill in the transom...
Recut the transom, 'n drop in yer Merc...

Bob, first off.... and depending on year model....., some Eaton out drives are nothing more than a Volvo Penta drive.
If it looks like this, it's a Volvo Penta, but is tagged "Eaton".
Both Eaton and Chrysler were given the rights to do this years ago.

If you look closely, this one is tagged Chrysler Marine. Eaton's name showed up similarily on some of these.

5Ge5Kc5R33G33kc3N2c6g1e65c0d120a3112f.jpg

Secondly, if this is a Volvo Penta, the transom cut-out is too large to fit a Mercruiser drive into. It would require extensive transom core re-work.
Also, a Merc A drive would be a step backwards from the V/P cone clutch drive anyway.

Here's a very old Eaton drive.
images

Just for general info, the 221,260,289 and 302 fords all shared the same basic block, just stroke and bore increases. The 351 windsor was also the same block but with larger heads and a narrower intake.
The 5.8L Ford (351) intake manifold is actually wider than the 5.0L.

Again, if the drive is Volvo Penta, any of the 335 series Ford Windsar engines will work with the Eaton/Volvo Penta drive components.
The engine is very likely using Borg Warner components in order to get to the Volvo Penta.

If what you have is a Volvo Penta, I'd keep it, and make it work.
There is a vast interchangeability with the AQ series Volvo Penta....... parts sourcing should not be a problem.

If it's an actual Eaton drive, I'd consider replacing it.
You'd be hard pressed to find parts for one today.

Last edited:
If it's an actual Eaton drive, I'd consider replacing it.
You'd be hard pressed to find parts for one today.

Ayuh,.... Marysville Marine, in Marysville Mich. is 'bout the Only place that has parts for 'em...

More info. Has been stored inside since last started in 1978. Existing 221 is right (reverse) rotation. Problem with another motor is finding one with right rotation. Exhaust manifolds have rotted out due to previous owner not flushing. Ended up with water in all four starboard cylinders and motor locked up. Does have 5 bolt rear housing so larger Winston motor would bolt up. Outdrive is Interceptor 140. SN 33537. Would this outdrive stand up to the larger engines? Other ideas are mounting standard rotation motor facing backward and driving off the front of the crankshaft or installing standard motor and using a different prop with the pitch reversed. Attempted to attach pix w/o success. Any ideas welcome.

Last edited:
Would this outdrive stand up to the larger engines?

Ayuh,... It'll be geared for 140hp....

Add more horsepower, 'n the rpms shoot to the moon, 'n ya go Nowhere....
'n,... No, ya can't add more prop to make up the difference....
'ell,... I donno if ya can even buy a prop for that drive,...

Finding a useable 221 isn't that hard. It's the reverse rotation that's the problem. Is there any way to use some standard rotation motor with the existing outdrive?

Read in another thread that Volvo Penta never made a reverse rotation engine. My setup is a Ford 221 ci and outdrive both marked Interceptor. The manual I got with the boat indicated the power unit was Volvo Penta. What do I really have?
Bob

Have decided to scrape the existing setup as not worth the trouble. Have a lead on a running OMC outdrive w/electric shift from a doner boat. Two questions. 1. Will the transom cutout size/shape present a problem and 2. what should I be looking for regarding the OMC unit.
Thanks
Bob

Do not buy that drive... period. Worse of the worse omc wise. Many, many parts are nla. Not for nothing but this boat you bought is a anchor waiting to be dropped.

Get another boat with the setup you want.

What, if anything, would fit with the least problems?
Thanks for your warning.

Ayuh,.... Nothing will fit "Without Problems"....

Buy a current production vintage driveline, either Mercruiser, or Volvo,....

Then drop it in, fightin' the "Problems" as ya go....

The Best way to find that driveline is to buy a Runnin' Donor boat, 'n Junk it out...
That way, ya get All the tiny pieces that cost a fortune....

Other ideas are mounting standard rotation motor facing backward and driving off the front of the crankshaft or installing standard motor and using a different prop with the pitch reversed. Attempted to attach pix w/o success. Any ideas welcome.
Bob, I don't recall if you have identified the drive as being Eaton or an Eaton tagged Volvo Penta.
If Volvo Penta, and if RH Rev rotation, the only way this would work, would be if the RH Rev engine was front crankshaft drive.
All Volvo Penta I/Os require a standard LH Rotation Engine driving from the flywheel end.
If the Volvo Penta transmission is not driven in this direction, the sliding sleeve and gear cups will not lock up.

Finding a useable 221 isn't that hard. It's the reverse rotation that's the problem. Is there any way to use some standard rotation motor with the existing outdrive?
Bob, I'd cut my losses, and pick up a donor boat, or pick up the parts needed to install a more conventional set up.
Good used parts can be easily found in the Portland OR area.

1..... Read in another thread that Volvo Penta never made a reverse rotation engine.

My setup is a Ford 221 ci and outdrive both marked Interceptor. The manual I got with the boat indicated the power unit was Volvo Penta.

2..... What do I really have?
Bob
1..... True!

2.... Without photos..... we are at a loss here.
Perhaps email photos to one of us.

Have decided to scrape the existing setup as not worth the trouble. Have a lead on a running OMC outdrive w/electric shift from a doner boat. Two questions. 1. Will the transom cutout size/shape present a problem and 2. what should I be looking for regarding the OMC unit.
Thanks
Bob
Run.............. and as fast as you can!
You do not want any form of an OMC drive, IMO.

What, if anything, would fit with the least problems?
An AQ series drive....... perhaps 250 or later.
The AQ series requires the larger transom cut out. In many cases, there is enough material to allow for this transom shield to be installed...... and these are easy to install.

The AQ series is Borg Warner capable, which means that most any marine engine that is also Borg Warner capable, can be made to work with an AQ series drive. Borg Warner is Borg Warner all day long.

Since you are near Portland OR, go see Brad at Fairview Marine in Fairview.
I am near Fairview also.

Bob, I am rather bios here as my preference has become Volvo Penta after having previously owned and serviced both Volvo Penta and Mercs.
Hopefully you'll find these to be two honest and unbios scenarios to consider:

1..... if you go with a dog clutch drive, you'll have a rubber hub drive coupler, annual engine alignment required, you'll need the shift assist, two shift cables, you'll have the dog clutch "crunch" gear engagement/disengagement, and a drive mounted sea wataer pump, etc.
You're limited to a RH prop.
You will have the p/t to use along with TT's.

2.... if you stay with the Volvo Penta, you'll have smooth cone clutch gear engagement, no shift assist required, one main shift cable, no rubber hub drive coupler, no annual engine alignment, and an engine mounted sea water pump.
You can also drive either hand propeller by switching a linkage arm.
No p/t until you get into the 290 and later. Use TT's and the correct set pin location.

Last edited:
Back