Logo

Hooking up Tach - 2007 Honda 50 Remote Model

neversummer

Regular Contributor
I have a 2007 Honda 50 remote model.

I never had a tach, but have just purchased one and would like to install it.

The tach is a Honda-branded Faria Gauge, HP-0243-001 is stamped on the lower portion of the face under the bezel. The 8 ft harness has five leads on one end and 15 leads on the other (some of the leads are capped off with rubber grommets) The number 32540-ZV5-9110 is on a tag affixed to the harness.

The standard harness that came with my installed engine has several capped bullet connectors under the dash.

Will this tach work for me, and do I just match up the colors of the wires under the dash and connect the bullet connectors?

Thanks,

Ted

If the tachometer has leads on it with bullet connectors that plug right into the harness that you have and there is not a rotating switch on the rear of the gauge to change the setting and your motor is truely a 2007, it is not going to work correctly. That gauge is set up to read the voltage from a 2005 and older 50 HP. In 2006, Honda changed the output of the charging system, which made it more consistant with most of their other motors. If you do install it, the rpm reading will be way off.

Sorry for the bad news.

Mike

Darn. But i'm glad you caught this, HondaDude! I will try to cancel my order and get something else.

Any idea which tach I need to buy? I am finding the process of which unit will work with my engine to be very confusing and frustrating.

Ted

As long as the tach is a universal outboard tach, typically made by Faria or Teleflex...it should work. The tach you have ordered is specific to Honda pre 2006 35 - 50 HP.

The universals all have a switch on the back to set for whatever engine you may have.

Any tach on this page would work for your motor. http://marine.honda.com/products/accessories/gauge-sets

If this is your only gauge, then you will need a wiring harness.

Not knowing your expertise in wiring, the most simple package would be the trim and tach package 06300-zw5-000kt. It comes with a wiring harness. Also, the tach has a built in hour meter.

If you have existing gauges, just pick one that closely matches what you have. From the sound of the post, I think this might be your only gauge.

With the wiring harness, the end with all the connections on it is labeled for each gauge. The other end just plugs into your wiring harness under your dash. Just match the colors. It might be an overkill if you have no other gauges, but it is the simplest way to go if you are not comfortable with wiring.

Mike

Mike,

I really appreciate the help!. I went with the trim and tach package you recommended. Is it likely that this tach will have pole settings on the back that I will need to adjust for the 50HP?

Thanks!

Did you get the tach/trim kit? I have that kit for my 2007 BF40A and have not had any luck with either guage. Faria replaced the trim guage but now waiting for warm weather to try it. I converted my motor from tiller to remote. Faria says I need 32197-ZH8-003 adapter for my tach but Honda, Faria and local dealers cannot tell me how to install the adapter. I had tried al pointer settings on tach but it is still erratic.

Im actually having a similar problem. I am set to pointer "1" and then tach "functions" but I do not believe it works correctly. When I am at WOT, it registers that I am over 6500 RPM which cannot be correct. I have not tried other pointer settings yet, I noticed this issue last August but never got around to addressing it -- hopefully I will figure it out this summer.

I'm in a similar situation. I just replaced 1998 BF50s with 2013 BF60s. My tachs are not registering correct readings with the 60s. The tachs are HP-0243-001. Am I correct that the easy solution to this problem is to purchase 37250-ZV5-950AH?

Mixman,

Yep! You have tachs that are only compatible with BF35 - BF50 before 2006. The 37250-zv5-950ah will work just fine for your 60HP. For a little more money, you can get one with an hour meter. If you already have hour meters on your gauge panel, then no need.

You should not need any added items for it to work.

I am surprised that the dealer that installed them, did not check the tach as part of their PDI.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I've got a Honda hour meter (39700-ZV5-800AH) installed behind my control panel that I reset. It's only hooked to my port engine so I might consider tachs with meters built in. Do you have a part number for that? It was nice that I was able to reset this meter. That's a nice feature.

I'm just into hour number 3 of the break-in procedure and I must admit I'm very impressed. I've got a 30' power-cat and put 1,000 hours on our 50s. These 60s are leaps and bounds better. In hour number 3 I was able to crank up to WOT and was just shy of 20 knots with a good head wind. Not bad at all.

The dealer is brand new to Honda, although the owner is certified as well as his staff. It was a hectic Friday for them as the shipping carrier originally lost my 60s, I was in a hurry to get back in the water, and on top of everything else, one of their travel lifts blew out a tire. This is a very minor issue that I'll have fixed in a short amount of time after receiving the new tachs. Thanks for the help.

--Kurt

Last edited:
Makes sense. If your dealer is new to Honda, they would not have known about the older tachs.

Glad you are happy with your 60's.

If you are staying with the Faria brand, the 37250-ZW5-010ZA is the one with the hour meter. It is not a reset able hour meter, like the one under your dash.

The first two hours were the most critical to watch the rpms. Be sure not to baby the engines during breakin. You can run at full throttle but not any more than 5 minutes at a time up to the full 10 hours. Do not just idle around. It you put good midrange to high rpm time on them, the rings will seat better.

After that....pedal to the metal.

Mike

[h=5][/h]

Makes sense. If your dealer is new to Honda, they would not have known about the older tachs.

Glad you are happy with your 60's.

If you are staying with the Faria brand, the 37250-ZW5-010ZA is the one with the hour meter. It is not a reset able hour meter, like the one under your dash. Here are all the Honda gauges http://marine.honda.com/outboards/accessories/gauge-sets

The first two hours were the most critical to watch the rpms. Be sure not to baby the engines during breakin. You can run at full throttle but not any more than 5 minutes at a time up to the full 10 hours. Do not just idle around. It you put good midrange to high rpm time on them, the rings will seat better.

After that....pedal to the metal.

Mike

Mike,

I'm thinking I can probably get my hands on a non Honda-branded tach faster. Do you have a Faria or Teleflex suggestion in 3" black-face? I see I have 5 wires going to my current tachs (the two at the top are obviously for the back-light), as well as two others that go to my stand-alone hour meter. I would assume that while the bullet connectors might not be the same with un-branded, they should still match up easily enough? I'm guessing the Teleflex 58255P is the closest option to fit my 3" openings? No hour meter, but that's not a deal breaker.

That tach should work fine. It does have a domed lense, where your previous tach did not. It all depends on how close a match that you want.

The hole for the tach needs to be 3 3/8". If you do not have the adapter rings on your existing tachs, you will have to enlarge the holes. 3 3/8" is the standard size for either Teleflex or Faria (Honda branded or not).

Here is a link to the teleflex site to see all of the gauge styles available. On the summary sheet for each style, there is another link for the specs and model numbers.

Mike

Mike,

I wanted to thank you for your help. I picked up two Teleflex 58255P gauges locally and installed them today. Wiring was pretty straight-forward and they seem to work fine (idle shows 850rpm instead of 250rpm of the old gauges). I'll confirm higher rpm tomorrow when I take the boat out for a few hours to continue the break-in routine. I'll be sure not to baby them!

Now, do I dare switch props or not? I'm running
11-1/4x13(58130-ZV5-000ZA) from my old 50s. I had to grind down the inner collar to get the to fit, but I wanted a starting point. The 13 pitch props for the 60s are 11-1/8, and I hate to lose any diameter. My boat manufacturer recommends SS, but the one time I tried them with the 50s I was quite unimpressed. I also like how easy aluminum props are to repair after a ding or 3.

Thanks again.

Kurt

Good deal. See what your full throttle rpms are with these props, then you can decide what to go to. Somewhere around 6000 to 6200 is what you are shooting for.

Your carb 50's should have maxed out at around 5500. So you might get lucky.

Mike

Mike,
I am in NJ and my motor is in South Hero, VT.
Just had the skeg, anti-ventilation plate and propeller repaired after last summers low Lake Champlain water levels (Jesberger Welding in Alburgh, VT). There were probably 50 props and lower units there in various stages of repair.
As you suggested, I ordered the HONDA RESISTOR ASSEMBLY SET # 06383-ZV5-315 from eBay($29.45 delivered) and will be testing the tach by the end of April. Based upon the large number of these sets that are for sale on different web sites and the crazy prices(up to $60.) being asked, I assume that they are a popular item.
I will post both here and in thread "Bf40a 2007 tach problem" after testing.
Thank you,
Bill

Mike,

I had the boat out for a few hours today. At WOT I am getting around 5,800 rpm. I'm rather pleased with performance, although you seem to want to see a higher WOT? I'm open to a little experimentation with props. I'm almost tempted to try 14-pitch, which I know will drop WOT but might give me some more speed and still be well over 5,000 at WOT and withing spec?

If you go with an aluminum prop, the rpms may stay close to where they are. I would try to stay as close to 6000-6200 with one person on board. When you load the boat, rpms will go down. If you lower the wot rpm with one person, then loading the boat will also load the engine. Also, your takeoff will suffer.

Mike

Mike, I should give you some more information:

The boat is already very loaded as we're about to spend 4 weeks on her in Florida and the Bahamas. I don't think my wife's 120 lbs are going to make much of a difference :) Also, I've never had a problem getting this boat on plane (granted, I've never fully understood how displacement hulls can plane, but they do so easily on this catamaran). I really should buy a set of props anyway as these are from my 50s and I had to grind them down to fit on the 60s (they wouldn't fit into the gearcase). Aluminum props aren't that expensive. With the above information, would you suggest going up 1 inch in pitch (14), or 2 inches (15)? I'm leaning towards just one inch, even though I think I'd still be well over 5,000 rpm at 15-pitch.

Thanks Mike. I have not gotten around to addressing this issue yet as I really dont want to buy the resistor if I cant help it (already spent a bundle on the tach). But I will probably look into this again this summer and will write back. Thanks!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I purchased and installed the inline Honda resistor for the tach (Its a 2007 BF50) but I still don't think it is accurate -- I am still reaching 6500 RPM at WOT, which seems to high to be accurate given the rev limited is supposed to kick in before that.

The tach is Honda-branded Faria Gauge, HP-0243-001 -- any ideas on why the continued false readings?

Yes....go back to my original answer to your question (last July) at the beginning of this thread....."If the tachometer has leads on it with bullet connectors that plug right into the harness that you have and there is not a rotating switch on the rear of the gauge to change the setting and your motor is truely a 2007, it is not going to work correctly. That gauge is set up to read the voltage from a 2005 and older 50 HP. In 2006, Honda changed the output of the charging system, which made it more consistant with most of their other motors. If you do install it, the rpm reading will be way off.

Sorry for the bad news."

The 2007 model requires it to be set at 4 poles. The tach you have is a 6 pole tach and can not be adjusted.

I recommend a Faria tach with a built in hour meter. (37250-W5-010ZB white face/black bezel or 37250-ZW5-010ZA black face/black bezel)

Set it at 4 poles ( #1 setting ) and you may or may not have to add the resistor. If it still does not read right, then add the resistor.

For reasons I can not explain, that may be the only combination that will work with your motor. I have had occasion success with Teleflex gauge with hour meter, but it is hit and miss.

Again....I can not tell you why and neither Teleflex or Faria tech's have been able to explain to me how the hour meter helps.....but it does.

Mike

[h=5]Mike, I apologize --- I copied the wrong product ID -- I had returned the incorrect tach and purchase the tach + trim kit, with hour meter (the one on the honda website), product ID = 06300-ZW5-000KT. Sorry for the confusion![/h]
This is the tach I have added the resistor to, but am still reading WOT at 6500 RPM

It may be ok.

If the tach is reading smoothly all the way up to the 6500 rpm, then the tach is probably reading correctly. If in doubt, see if you can borrow someone's shop tach to compare the two.
'

I know you think the rev limiter should kick in sooner, but I am thinking it is a little higher.

At this point, if the shop tach compares accurately, it is time to get a larger pitch prop.

Mike

Back