Logo

Trouble with nissan 3.5hp

Scott85ls1

Hello, upgraded to a 2010 nissan 3.5hp outboard to replace my old 2hp yammie. Now I purchased this used from a dealer, I was told it had a preseason done and that is was basically just broken in(pretty much new). Went fishing yesterday so I decided to try my new outboard out, So I fill it up w fresh prem gas and turn on gas line and choke. It took about 20 pulls to start and wouldnt stay running, once it warmed up a bit it ran on its own w o the choke but i couldnt idle it down all the way with out stalling. So I let the motor warm up put it ino gear and gave about 1/2-2/3 throttle. Now the motor seemed to be running ok at this point(1st 4 stroke ob) then all of a sudden it started to sputter and died. I could not restart the motor. I waited 10 mins and it fired up but would only stay running w the choke between 1/2 and full but wouldnt rev up at all so I limped it back to the dock where it stalled.

Now I feel like I have made a mistake in purchasing this motor over a yamaha, is this a common thing with these motors? Or perhaps the dealer just wasnt honest w me and it wasnt ready for the water. Either way I would like to get this running good whats the compression from the factory on one of these 3.5 4strokes?

Also my 91 2hp yammie fired up in 1 pull and saved the day, its over 20 yars old and I havnt touched the carb or motor once still has 135-140 psi

There is no such thing as "year" for diagnosing or servicing any Tohatsu/Nissan outboard. I assume you have an NSF3.5B, right?
Could be a lot of things, but sounds too lean.
Possible clogged fuel filter (it's in the line just before the fuel cock).
Probable varnished carb. Only takes a week of sitting (without running the carb dry) to do that. Happens on any modern EPA-rated motor of any brand, running on today's USA gasolines. New Yamahas do it too.
Compression should be well over 100#, but you won't typically see that on a pull-start motor, because the decompressor is engaged to make cranking easier.
I would take it back to the dealer, and have them correct the issue -- and it should not be on your nickel, unless it was fine before you picked it up, and you were the one who did not run the carb dry.

Back