Logo

new boater wanting to get boat knowledge

inawrldofsht77

i boat a boat out of a estate sale..there is no manual or anything when i got it and all i know its a 1984 chris craft scorpion 120/140..i have no clue who made the motor because i cant find any markings other then what the guys widow told me its a 4 cylinder..boat is in great shape...i put in a new impellar, battery, and changed the oil, greased and lubed all the mechanics...took the boat out last year and had no problem..had it out the other day and we were running fine until it just shut down..wouldnt restart after that..its getting plenty of fuel so that eliminates that..took the distributor off and it gets spark.. tried to spin the camshaft and it wouldnt budge..a guy 3 slips down said that it was more then likely the timing chain broke he supposedly had the same type of motor before he bought a bigger boat.. i do almost all kinds of minor motor work so i have some knowledge but this is my first boat..and is it a 120hp. or a 140hp. everyone keeps telling me its a 120/140?

120/140..i have no clue who made the motor because i cant find any markings other then what the guys widow told me its a 4 cylinder.

Ayuh,... Got a picture,..?? How'd ya change the impeller, if ya don't know what yer workin' on,..??

Back