Logo

1997 saltwater series starting problem

2step

I just returned from the dock where the engine would not start. This is a 1997 Yamaha 115 salt water series. I was out last week for the first time this year and everything ran great. This moter always starts the moment you crank it over. New plugs every year. Gas stabilizer at the end of every season. I replaced the water separator filter last week prior to going out the for the first time this year. So now tonight I get to the dock and to no avail she won't start. Cranks over fine but won't run. I pulled the boat out and returned home where I pulled the plugs to see if they were wet with fuel, they seemed dry. I suspected that it was not getting fuel. I pulled the fuel filter off the side of the motor and cleaned out the little derbies that were in the fine mesh. Removed the plugs and sprayed wd40 in each cylinder, replaced the plugs and gave it a shot. After the 2nd attemp to crank it over it fired and ran like it always had. I waited a while and she fired right up. I not sure if this is going to be a continuing problem where I may get stuck and need a tow, yikes...... Or could it be some type of vapor lock, or possibly a intermittent fuel pump.. Any suggestions?

Went out yesterday and everything ran fine. After speaking to a local mechanic he said that it was probably a vapor lock, and amoving removing the fuel filter on the side of the engine it probably released the lock. Great day on the water with lots of fish and fun.

I just returned from the dock where the engine would not start. This is a 1997 Yamaha 115 salt water series. I was out last week for the first time this year and everything ran great. This moter always starts the moment you crank it over. New plugs every year. Gas stabilizer at the end of every season. I replaced the water separator filter last week prior to going out the for the first time this year. So now tonight I get to the dock and to no avail she won't start. Cranks over fine but won't run. I pulled the boat out and returned home where I pulled the plugs to see if they were wet with fuel, they seemed dry. I suspected that it was not getting fuel. I pulled the fuel filter off the side of the motor and cleaned out the little derbies that were in the fine mesh. Removed the plugs and sprayed wd40 in each cylinder, replaced the plugs and gave it a shot. After the 2nd attemp to crank it over it fired and ran like it always had. I waited a while and she fired right up. I not sure if this is going to be a continuing problem where I may get stuck and need a tow, yikes...... Or could it be some type of vapor lock, or possibly a intermittent fuel pump.. Any suggestions?

Back