Logo

water going into the engine into the oil

cifd342000

my problem. i was overheater i was told to clean out the riser which i did i also put on a new gasket on the end of the elbow i got the over heating fix. now i have a new problem i am getting water into the engine in the oil which didn't happen before what would be cause of that. i fix one problem and come up with a new one. can someone help me out with this. and when i run the engine it's not over heating. just water going into the engine. the boat is 1989 forester 3.0 chevy engine. :confused:

thanks need help :eek:

sierra 18-2875-9 the other number is 3850495-2 i order this from marine engines.com if it was the wrong gasket would that make the water go into the engine. or did i put the gasket on wrong or to much torx on it. like i said it wasn't leaking intill i put on the new gasket.

there is such a thing as a wrong gasket - one used for closed cooling systems, but not your issue - looks like you got the right gasket.

Not sure what to tell you - double check that the hose clamps haven't somehow clamped off the water exit at the back of the riser at installation.
aside from that - disturbing some old rust on cast iron parts can sometimes loosen a crack up. how bad did the riser look? - it may have been soft- and cleaning may have finished it off.....

you can run the motor and then pull the spark plugs to verify that water is coming in through the combustion chambers.
You could also pressure test the cooling system (block and head) to make sure the block isn't the issue.... or head gasket - warped head etc from the overheat.

Last edited:
to pressure test the cooling system, disconnect the water line from tstat hsg to exh manifold. remove it from the manifold and put a 5/8 bolt in it and clamp it off to seal that hose.

then, remove the water line coming to the tstat hsg from the drive. Feed compressed air REGULATED! to 5 or 10 psi max and listen for hissing.
whatever you do - don't start ripping the head off looking for a head gasket failure or anything until you do that test... worst mistake ever is to take the head off prematurely.
here's a pic of how to pressure test cooling on a V8 - same idea, just 1 more hose on the V8 - introduce air at green arrow - hoses blocked off at red x's.
searay.jpg

i took off the oil cap and saw water inside but the riser didn't have that much rust in it. its like i said this only happen when i put the new gasket on. and its not over heating like it was. i am going to check everything you said and get back to you thank you for your help steve :cool:

Flapper fell down blocking the exhaust ?

Head went ? Pull off the t-stat housing off the head and look inside the neck, probe the opposite wall with a screwdriver, that wall have a hole in it ?
Yes... then the head went.

You filled the elbow inner wall with water and see if you had a hole in the wall ?

With Hy's ,method your gonna find out.

ill try that but i don't think so. the flap was stuck but i fix that. it all started when i put on the new gasket on. at first when i put it all back together it was leaking a little so i waited intill the next day and it stop. so i started it up ran it for about 6 mins intill i saw steam coming from the pvc hose. i open the oil cap and saw water and pull out the dip stick and the oil was milkie. but i am going to try what you said. i hope to have it fix but the end of the summer lol
thank you for your input. ill let u know what happens

My engine is gone :(
Looking at a remn mercruiser plus 4v but upon reading the specs these buggers use wet joint manifolds? I believe my 05 motor has dry joint. Should I be worried?

Also I was looking at a full closed cooling system with the new engine but was told it's really not worth it, any truth to that?

Back