Logo

2000 PCM 351 5.8 on ski nautique cutting out above 2300 rpm

sjackson

In desparate need of help! I have a 2000 ski nautique with a PCM 5.8. The motor is cutting out above 1800 rpm. I have been fighting this for 2 summers now. The 1st issue I had with the boat was it would go dead after approximately 30 minutes on the water. After sitting for approximately 30 more minutes it would crank back up but do the sme thing again after running it. It finally would not crank back up at all. I replaced the coil and still would not crank. I repplaced the ceramic resistor(which is separate from coil) and it fired up and ran; took it to the lake, and this is when the cutting out started. When running around 1800 rpm it goes "pop...pop,pop,poppop...pop." Not a backfiring pop, but a cutting out type pop and loss of power. When I back off throttle, it stops. My 1st step was replacing the power valve in the Holley carb with the same size (4.5). No cure, so replaced plugs and wires and checked timing(which was good). Still no cure. I then removed fuel tank, replaced separator valve, cleaned coarse screen, checked fuel lines and replaces fuel filters. Next, replaced power valve with a 6.5, but still didn't fix it. Noticed yesterday, while checking firing again that the coil gets super hot just by turning over the engine. I have elctronic ignition, but still may change cap and rotor??, as this is the only thing I've found in a forum that has been the problem for someone else. Any input is helpful. By the way, everything I've done has come from reading forums from ones with same problem that was supposively fixed by each maintenance task. Tired of throwing parts. Help please!!!

Then by all means, troubleshoot the issue and stop throwing parts at it.

With what you described, I'd suspect the coil...take a timing light out and hook it up and run it until the cutting out starts. when it does, see if the spark is still present (using the timing light). If the spark is fine, you are likely to have a fuel issue - start with a pressure test.

Back