Logo

'81 Evinrude 15HP dies when shifted into Neutral

mik1947

'81 Evinrude 15HP tiller control runs great at both trolling (idle) and high speeds, but dies when I shift from forward or reverse into neutral. It is hard to start after it dies in neutral. After several pulls it will begin to show some signs of life and if I shift into gear quickly enough, it will continue to run fine. It also starts fine when still in gear, but that presents some safety issues! Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Motor is 30 years old , there is a need to establish internal condition by doing a compression test.----------Pictures of the motor always help too.-------Test for strong spark as well , it should be able to jump a gap of 7/16" with ease if ignition is in tip top shape.-------Last time impeller was changed ?----Last time carburetor was cleaned ? ----O-rings on fuel hose checked and in good shape ?------Thermostat installed and working properly ?

'81 Evinrude 15HP tiller control runs great at both trolling (idle) and high speeds, but engine dies when I shift from forward or reverse into neutral. It is hard to start after it dies in neutral. After several pulls it will begin to show some signs of life and if I shift into gear quickly enough, it will continue to run fine. It also starts fine when still in gear, but that presents some safety issues! Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Hey did you ever find the fix to this?

Back