Logo

Chrysler 340 Rebuild my carter 62212 carb or buy new?

stevemiller333

Contributing Member
Hello,
First post, this forum is great! I have a 75 Century Resorter with the original Chrysler 340. The carb needs atteniton.
Should I rebuild the current one or go with an Edelbrock?

If so which carb should I buy and what will I need?

Thanks

I third the suggestion for the 1409. Other than the need to drill/tap the base for the vent, it's a bolt-on and go.

well I work at ford dealer and there is a great tech in the shop who really knows older carbs. I figured I'd get the kit and let him have a go
at refurbishing it. I can't believe this was running.

rsz_picture_002.jpg

Have a look at this carb I was out on the water with. Mind you I just bought the boat this isn't my doing! If this doesn't work I'll be after a 1409 and K N filter/retarder.

I am going ot tackle the choke next weekend I think the "hot slot" might be clogged w carbon?

Toss that clunker out! The ethanol will eat it up, if it hasn't already.

New Edelbrocks used an alloy of aluminum and other metals that is ethanol resistant. The old AFBs were mainly ure aluminum. (The "A" in AFB stood for aluminum.)

Jeff

AFB = Aluminum Four Barrel

Aluminum tanks and carbs will be fine with 10% ethanol fuel. Once you get into higher concentrations of ethanol, is when corrosion starts to become a concern. For example, if your boat was using E85 gas, which it doesn't....yet.

I rebuilt an aluminum Mikuni carb on my bike that looked twice as bad as that. It had about 1/4" of varnish at the bottom of the bowl and the main jet was completely plugged with gummed varnish. Bike runs good as new after the rebuild.

What happened to the days when people used to actually fix things instead of throw them away? Those carbs were designed to be rebuilt. What makes you think that a new Edelbrock is manufactured any better? In my opinion, the missing crankcase vent fitting on the Edelbrocks is proof that the manufacturing process is getting too "lean". Cost has become a bigger factor than quality. Doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

"They don't make them like they used to."

-JJ

Toss that clunker out! The ethanol will eat it up, if it hasn't already.

New Edelbrocks used an alloy of aluminum and other metals that is ethanol resistant. The old AFBs were mainly ure aluminum. (The "A" in AFB stood for aluminum.)

Jeff

Virtually nothing is made from pure aluminum. Everything that's "aluminum" uses an alloy. Soda cans, alumimum foil, airplane wings, carburetors, etc...

-JJ

well I work at ford dealer and there is a great tech in the shop who really knows older carbs. I figured I'd get the kit and let him have a go
at refurbishing it. I can't believe this was running.

View attachment 4916

Have a look at this carb I was out on the water with. Mind you I just bought the boat this isn't my doing! If this doesn't work I'll be after a 1409 and K N filter/retarder.

I am going ot tackle the choke next weekend I think the "hot slot" might be clogged w carbon?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Go Edelbrock, young man! Go Edelbrock! 1409 that is...

Most of the guys trying to get you to join the "Edelbrock" club don't even know that the design was invented by Weber, sold to Carter, then purchased by Edelbrock. It's no coincidence that 95% of the parts on a Carter and Edelbrock are interchangeable.

Even to this day the design hasn't changed much.

-JJ

You sound like a marketing guy for Edelbrock. What makes it a better carb?

-JJ

Simply put: It is made better... performs much, much better... simple to take apart & clean with 2 piece construction... better fuel economy... no hesitation/backfire ala the Carter AFB... electric choke which actually WORKS; unlike the ridiculous old style choke set up on the Carter AFB... I replaced my Carter AFB with the 1409 on a Chrysler 318, 2 years ago, & never looked back... Go Edelbrock, young man! Go Edelbrock!

Attachments

• DSCN2173.jpg
    DSCN2173.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 63
  • ENGINE-FWD..jpg
    ENGINE-FWD..jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN2181.jpg
    DSCN2181.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 34
It's the same 2 piece design! The air-horn and fuel bowl are virtually unchanged!

I just installed 2 rebuilt AFBs on my 318s. I don't get any back fire. Were your carbs adjusted correctly? I also installed the Edelbrock electric choke kit which fits the AFB housing perfectly. BECAUSE IT'S BASICALLY THE SAME CARB.

-JJ

Thanks for the great input guys.

This may deserve a new post but if I'm getting great advice in this thread so I figured I would pick your brains a little more. Last tuesday when my dad and I were out on the water we noticed when the throttle was wide open there was a small amount of water dripping from one of the exhaust manifolds. Sure enough tonight when I was going through the motor, cleaning etc. I noticed a hairline crack in the manifold where the water was coming out.

After some quick research I've learned that this can be pretty serious? What can happen? Should I not go out again until the manifold is replaced? Do they have to be done i pairs as the old ones are no longer available.

motor.jpg

I included a pic for reference.
i

What should I do next?

Water can get into a cylinder and hydrolock the motor. Be very careful starting it--just bump the starter and listen as you first start it up. If it hesitates STOP and pull plugs; one of them will be wet.

Jeff

It's the same 2 piece design! The air-horn and fuel bowl are virtually unchanged!

I just installed 2 rebuilt AFBs on my 318s. I don't get any back fire. Were your carbs adjusted correctly? I also installed the Edelbrock electric choke kit which fits the AFB housing perfectly. BECAUSE IT'S BASICALLY THE SAME CARB.

-JJ

As long as you are happy with the Carters, that's all that matters... I wasn't! Thus the 1409 which made me grin from ear to ear! Enjoy the Holiday!

Enjoy the holiday! 070112150938.jpg070112151005.jpg

Check out the rebuilt Carters. I could put an Edelbrock decal on them!

-JJ

Attachments

• 070112151034.jpg
    070112151034.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 38
Back