Logo

OMC 2.3L Wont Fire. Get close but wont Stay Fired

Bmoon28286

Boat ran good and fired right up on about 7-10 attempts throughout a few hours on the water then after a 2 hour lunch break I came back and it wouldnt start. It turns over great, but thats it. If I push the throttle down it acts like its going to fire but never does. I checked the Points they have spark, the #1 spark plug gets spark, and the carbeurator is getting plenty of fuel. Help:confused:

if your getting fuel and spark and it wont run its probably out of time. check the timing belt to see if its broke or out of time.

the 2.3 liter is bad about the belt stretching and jumping a tooth or two. I have also found in a couple of them the roll pin in the dist. sheared when it shears it will still spin the dist. but the timing will be way off. if your getting fire the kill switch is not the problem. have you done any other tests on the engine? such as a compression test

I found 2 things, the first: apparently my "buddy", while at the lake pulled the plug wires off the cap and didnt tell me, he proceeded to put them on out of order. The only reason I found this out was when i was pulling the cap the other day he asked me why I was leaving the wires attached, lol i said so i dont accidentally put them, back on wrong. me: why did you pull them off the other day? him: uhhhhhh ya. ME: OMG!!!! that was the obvious problem, but the original problem i belive was corroded points mixed with a semi clogged fuel line into the carb. thanks again to alll

Back