Logo

!989 Four Winns no start

1989 Four Winns

Im sure this has been covered before. I am having an issue keeping my boat running. I recently replaced the 4.3 that was in it. After a year of sitting i forgot where some wires went. I hooked it up the way i thought it was but the starter stayed engaged as it ran. I shut it off and inspected the wiring. I changed it to what i thought was right and it had nothing. I found a wiring diagram and figured it out but then i had no power coming off the starter solenoid to power the coil. I put a new starter in it and it has power when cranking now to the coil but as soon as it starts it stalls. I have used a jumper wire to send power to the coil and it runs fine. Now the diagram i have looks like it gets power from a resistor in the alternator after it starts. I tested the wire to see if the splice is bad and if i send power from the alt. wire to the coil it runs, so the wiring is fine. I guess what im wondering before i put an alt. in it is if the purple wire on the right side of the alt. is supposed to send regulated power to the coil after it starts. Thinking i may have fried it when i hooked it up wrong. I saw some posts talking about a resistor in the wiring, but i don't see one in the diagram. Any help appreciated.

the wire itself is a resistor wire. It is made from a semi-resistive material.
You can disconnect it, and check it with an ohmmeter. As I recall, 2 or 3 ohms is typical for the entire length of that wire.

the alternator does no regulating of that.

Back