Logo

Identifying this part on a 1993 5.0L Cobra Housing

amoncarter

Hi All,

I am fumbling with my first boat so apologies in advance...I have looked at the forum sticky on parts but am still unsure - and need some help.

When I messed with it, the now empty hole in my attached picture held a part with a flat screw slot which snapped & went flying when I tried unscrewing it. From the manual pictures in the link, it appears as if there is a flat cap on top of the screw as well - parts 58 & 14. But as you can see from my picture, its on the port side. Am I on the right track in identifying these parts?

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/o...er=OMC+Stern+Drive&section=Upper+Gear+Housing
boat 002.jpg
Micky

Most of us have been there, that's the screw you are not supposed to take out. There is a flat plate that probably fell into the lower unit. There are many threads about the screw that you son't take out. Do a search and you'll have a bunch of info on it. Mine, I took the lower off and tried to get the back plate out and I couldn't get it to come out so I took it to the shop, they split the lower got the parts out, refilled the lube, also had them install a new impeller then put the lower back on the boat last fall before storage.

Most of us have been there, that's the screw you are not supposed to take out. There is a flat plate that probably fell into the lower unit. There are many threads about the screw that you son't take out. Do a search and you'll have a bunch of info on it. Mine, I took the lower off and tried to get the back plate out and I couldn't get it to come out so I took it to the shop, they split the lower got the parts out, refilled the lube, also had them install a new impeller then put the lower back on the boat last fall before storage. Here is a link:
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...nit-I-am-baffled&highlight=Don't+remove+screw

Last edited:
Most of us have been there, that's the screw you are not supposed to take out. There is a flat plate that probably fell into the lower unit. There are many threads about the screw that you son't take out. Do a search and you'll have a bunch of info on it. Mine, I took the lower off and tried to get the back plate out and I couldn't get it to come out so I took it to the shop, they split the lower got the parts out, refilled the lube, also had them install a new impeller then put the lower back on the boat last fall before storage.

Thanks. It's in keeping with my experiences with the boat. Turns out the stringers, deck & seats were all rotting so I am looking at some significant glass work. When I did take it the boat out I had all kinds of shifting problems - now researching it, its another very famous issue with these drives. (many symptoms common to the stuart hastings documented list)

I can get past the glassing - but the engine/shifting side seems daunting. I know its a general question because every situation is different, but what am I looking at worst case (effort/cost) to do a total rebuild so it shifts "with a finger" or* even a palm? Trying to decide whether its time to gracefully walk away or stay the course...

The shifting can be a couple of different things, one is the esa is not working properly, idle set right, probably the most common is the shift cable is bad. What kind of shift problems are you having any way? If the shift cable is bad it will cause the esa to act up. The esa is the electronic shift assist and is mounted on the port side of the engine where the shift cables attach to a bracket. There are multiple threads on this issue also.

Back