Logo

Puting an electric starter on a 1980 Johnson 25hp Rope start.

t-man10

Hello again fellas,
I am wanting to take my 1980 Johnson 25 rope start and install an electric starter, it gets old recoiling that rope, plus on that 25 it aint easy to pull that rope in the first place. Any suggestions on what action to take? Also I just took the head off of this engine and ordered a new head gasket for it, is there any kind of paste or sealant that goes down first before putting the head back on with the new gasket, my dad said something about it and I was curious.
Thanks a lot!!

No sealant needed on a factory replacement head gasket.---Does the flywheel have a ring gear on it ? if so all you need is the starter, solenoid and bracket/-----------Depending on if you want it for remote start at the helm or at the tiler will determine what wiring you have to do.

No I don't see a ring gear on it, also I am trying to get this thing started, all I am getting is a cylinder will fire every now and then and nothing else happens. I am getting gas in the cylinders and I'm getting a spark out of the spark plugs. I'm still a beginner on motors of 15 HP and above. All I work on day to day is small pushmowers, weed eaters, etc.

I just had it start a few times, I had the throttle open and as soon as I let the throttle down it dies, it won't idle. Also I'm not sure if I have the fuel to oil ratio correct.

The fuel ratio has very little to do with the starting of the motor !!------The correct ratio is 50:1 , but it will start just as easy on no oil mixed or with it mixed at 16:1.-------Sounds like the carburetor might need to be cleaned.

That's what I figured, and I don't feel like monkeying with that carb today. Hey what do you think an 80's 15 HP Evinrude is worth in full working condition, original paint, etc. , I have one I want to sell but I have no clue what it's worth.

Sold one recently for $ 800.00-------Fully taken apart / inspected / repaired as needed.----------Went with one year warranty parts and labour.------New owner took it away without hearing it run.

Why would this engine be billowing smoke? When I rev it up it billows smoke. Could that just be the dirty carb? It seems like even a dirty carb wouldn't cause that much.

i too the carb off and that thing was spotless, I cleaned it up as much as possible and put it back on, motor is still having problems starting. What about that powerpack?? I know we had to replace the power pack on our larger 150hp Johnson because it was having starting problems.

i too the carb off and that thing was spotless, I cleaned it up as much as possible and put it back on, motor is still having problems starting. What about that powerpack?? I know we had to replace the power pack on our larger 150hp Johnson because it was having starting problems.

If you put electric starter and brackets on, the motor needs to be re timed. The advance limit is on that bracket. It will need attention.

Lots of powerpacks are replaced as a guess.---Then owner reports " it still runs the same " on the next post.------Leave spark plugs in and test the spark when you pull it over.-It should jump a gap of 7/16" with a snap you can hear.-------If not then you may want to pull it over a little faster. I would never replace a powerpack without proper testing.-------Lots of good used packs are available.

Back