Logo

Prop Shaft Size

Jfreeman1412

Regular Contributor
Hey guys, what are the general Prop shaft size? I really want to be prepared in case I ever loose on of those out on the water. I am looking to get the right size compression plugs to plug the holes in case I ever was to lose one. Thanks

Yes...I will do that. My boat sits 6 hours away from my house so i was just wondering if anyone else has boughten anything similar or if they have a back up plan. thanks.

Your shaft could be 1.25" to 1.5" To be safe you should get plugs for the rudders. If the prop shaft lets go it usually runs into the rudder.

Last year my buddy and I hit a dredge pipe in his 30' express. It bent both props,shafts and struts. It lifted a 11,000lb boat a foot out of the water. No leaks and she still made it the five miles back to the dock. The dredge company picked up the 11k bill!

Attachments

• prop.jpg
    prop.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 125
I agree with tahoe. A plug for the rudder shaft is probably more likely to be needed. I can also attest to the hazards of navigating the bay and deltas in northern california!

To start with, can u tell us what kind of boat u have and what power it has? Maybe someone has one and can tell u first hand about it!

Get a set of emergency wood plugs. They're tapered so they can be pounded into a leaking hole (giggle giggle). You can pick up a set online for under $20.

-JJ

Great! Thanks. Random question but Do you happen to have a picture of your captains chairs? I am looking to replace my non existent ones.

Back