Logo

Nissan 2008 15 hp water pump issue

karenk

I recently acquired a 2008 electric start 15 hp. The original owner stated it had only been used less than 10 hours and had not been used in a while. We have run the motor but the water pump will pee for a while the stop all the sudden. Any suggestions? I have ran a small wire in the hole to unstop the openning incase it is blocked.

At 4 years of age, you may need a wp kit, available from any dealer, including me. Is the motor overheating? What is your actual model/serial?

If the motor is not overheating, you probably still have some blockage in the telltale pee tube. To clear it, push a stiff monofilament or wire into the pee tube exit fitting while the motor is running, to knock any debris loose. The water can then flush it out of the tube. If you are overheating, the water pump kit replacement is often a DIY-possible project. About 1/2 of my customers DIY that bit; the other 1/2 are full-service customers who don't want to get their hands dirty, or may not have the time, ability, or desire to turn wrenches. Your owner's manual notes that the wp should be checked (and serviced if necessary) annually. The rubber of the impeller dry rots over time, so even in our cool Great Lakes waters, with a short season, we still typically service water pumps about every 3 years; more frequently if operated in sandy or silty waters.

If you want to tackle the job yourself, have basic mechanical skills, a decent set of metric tools, and... using the Factory service manual (003-21041-0, $40.00) as a guide, install the water pump kit, (362873220M, $50.68). The Factory parts are available from any dealer, including me. If you feel uncomfortable with the job, drop by a dealer for diagnosis and service. FWIW, the 15B is probably more like 10 years old; It was superceded by the B2, (and later the C, which has been in production since about 2008).

Back