Logo

Bilge pump issue

DWester

Regular Contributor
I was testing my B/pump and noticed that it runs but doesn't pump until I take the hose off a little bit, then it takes off great. Could this be caused by a primming problem or might it be time for a new pump? I don't know the brand, but it is yellow and maybe 4" in diameter. If need be, I'll take it out and see.

1. I was looking at pump setups and found this one. Is this a good way to go or should I stick with the float switch?

Rule 500 (25S) Automatic
    Price: $51.99
    Manufacturer: Rule

Product Details:

Rule Automatic Bilge Pumps
    Float switches are not required for these fully automatic pumps. Controlled by computerised operation, the pump will turn on every 2.5 minutes for about 1 second to sense for water. If water is present, the pump will sense resistance and continue to run until all water is removed. Power use in the checking mode is minimal for the peace of mind that this range of pumps offer.

The Rule 500 offers many design features while keeping size and cost to a minimum. Especially popular on smaller craft, Rule 500 pumps are unmatched in pumping power and longevity. 3/4’’ (19mm) discharge outlet. Note: 25D pictured.

Automatic 12v

Specifications:
    Voltage: 12 Vdc
    Amp Draw: 1.9 amp
    Fuse Size: 2.5 amp
    Height: 4 inches 102 mm
    Width: 2 3/8 Inches 60.3 mm
    Weight: 11 oz 310 g

Fortunately I didn't buy a new pump. As I always do when something fails, I like take it apart to find out why. What I found was the nut that holds the impeller on had fallen off and probably when out the discharge. It caused the impeller to drop down a bit, but just enough that it wouldn't allow it to prime. I put another nut on with locktite and she works like a dream.

Gotta love it.
smile.gif

Back