Logo

Stator volt test is my new stator bad

mokaction

Regular Contributor
"Can a brand new stator be bad

"Can a brand new stator be bad? Did a ohm test and stator tested to spec, but did a voltage get and only came back with 95 volts. Should have been 150 + volts. Motor is a 87 johnson 225.

Larry"

Normally if the ohm test reads

Normally if the ohm test reads out the stator is ok. Befor changing the stator I would check out the crancking speed and conditions of the flywheel magnets

"As Mort states, if the ohm re

"As Mort states, if the ohm reading is okay, the new stator is most likely okay. The engine must be cranking over at least 300 rpms in order to energize the ignition.

Test after having enerything hooked up properly by.... removing the spark plugs. Rig up a tester whereas you can set a 7/16" gap. Disconnect the large RED electrical plug at the engine.

Crank the engine by using a small jumper wire from the battery terminal of the starter solenoid to the 3/8" nut onthe solenoid that energizes the solenoid (not the 3/8" ground nut).

Keeping in mind that the engine must turn over rather fast (300 rpms), you should have spark. Do you?

Spark Tester - Home Made
(J. Reeves)

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a couple nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4"

"Joe,

I installed a spark p

"Joe,

I installed a spark plug tester and gapped all the the point of the needle to 7/16 only #1 cyclinder sparked. Tried to add a timing light, but not enough spark to register on the timing light. I ajusted all the other gaps down to 1/4 and got a spark, very weak.

Do you think it could be the timing base? Or maybe the regulator? I did a volt and ohm test. And they were all to spec.

I have two batteries hooked up fully charged. I bet if I used only the starter motor on the boat it would go 10 nmh. LOL.

Thanks,

Larry"

Then is the question what kind

Then is the question what kind of instrument did You use to read the voltage: A peak reading volt meter or a normal multimeter. The specs are by using a peak reading voltmeter.
Even check the primary voltage to the coils.

"Morten,

I used a regular d

"Morten,

I used a regular digital ohm meter / volt meter. What kind of test is a primary voltage?? If that is checking to volts after the power packs. I have already replaced the power packs they are new."

"By 'primary voltage'

"By 'primary voltage' I mean the voltage going from power pack to coils. Check Your manual so You follow the right procedure, or You may dammage the power pack.
In most cases it pays off to do a complete series of measurements before starting to replace parts. Not only would You probably save money, but You would even learn and know Your engine better. However remember that the test instruments stated to be used in the manuals, mainly analog, may be giving different 'results' than some of todays multimeters."

"OK.. Yes, did that test, in t

"OK.. Yes, did that test, in the manual they call that a: Power Pack Cranking Output Test, got no readings.

Also just did a Stator Resistance Check (ohm test between yellow and yellow/gray wire) and there was a reading of .4 ohms when it should be .17 +- .05

So looks like I do have a bad stator..

Thanks for the help, really great place to varify my findings, and get a second oppinion..

Larry"

"when u test the stator in OHM

"when u test the stator in OHMS, u need to unplug the wires from the power pack or u will measure the resistance in the pack and if u have volts running through there u will get false readings. make sure u touch the wires by themselves and Ur fingers are not in the way

i posted on here how to make a DVA if u do not have a peak meter

i not a fan of OHMS, every meter will read OHMS different, same thing with volts

u need to check coil primary resistance, if u get volts to the coils, which must be connected to get the right voltage also

check ESS (emergency stop switch AKA kill switch) circuit

and the NSS ( neutral safety switch)

i got the OEM wiring diagrams if u wan a copy"

Disonnect the black/yellow wir

Disonnect the black/yellow wires that lead to the powerpack(s). Re-check the spark. What were the results?

"YOu know when I am doing this

"YOu know when I am doing this, one really dum question?? Should I do all this with the spark plugs out?? I know that creates pressure and slows down the starter, but in my 225 it tends not to like to turn with out a little resistance in the engine??

Larry"

"Justintime and Joe,

Pulled

"Justintime and Joe,

Pulled out spark plugs and was able to get RPM need to get the stator to spark. Working great now.

Stator putting out and power pack are all working. Spark plug gap tester working great too.

Will do water trials tomorrow. Let you guys know.

Thanks for all the help to Justintime and Joe R.

Larry"

"Joe and Justinime,

Here is

"Joe and Justinime,

Here is my dream boat that you have been helping me with. It is a old sea urchin and abolone boat. It is a 1981 Wilson Boat manufactured in Santa Barbara CA. It is base off the Radon Boat line for commercial fishing boats.

http://www.luvjoy.com/1981%20wilson%20finished%20111206%20website/index.htm

Thanks again.

Larry
40039.jpg
"

"yes, also on spearboard.com??

"yes, also on spearboard.com??

Whats up?? You can pm me at spearboard or bloodydecks.

Larry"

Back