Logo

Chrysler 45hp spark problems

Chuck Hammond

I have a Chrysler 45hp that I have no spark to either plug any suggestions what I should do, or common problems that could cause this. It cranks good, compression is good, points open up. One of the condensers was rubbing on the flywheel at one point, but that is fixed. Could it be something in the ignition switch, or the kill/run switch? Any help appreciated.

Chuck.

Year?
Points need cleaning,sandpaper.
Outboard ignition .com and cdi electronics have test procedures for the older motors.J

Need a year or a few pics of the motor.They used 2 types of ignition(I believe)in the older Chryslers.
Year/model/serial# needed.
Could be the stator,points.condensers,etc.

Ok, its a 1970, magneto ignition. separate run/stop switch wired next to ignition switch on dash.
2012-06-18180118.jpg

2012-06-16114538.jpg

2012-06-16114515.jpg

2012-06-16114459.jpg

2012-06-11172328.jpg

Did it ever run while you had it?
If the previous owner installed a kill switch??
Was it installed to shut the motor off?
Does the key work to kill the motor?If not the switch might be bad.
Figure out the switch,see if it's working.

The switch works to crank it over and activate the choke. The kill switch has been disconnected in case it was grounding something out. I would think if it cranks over, a bad switch would not be the cause of no spark. Maybe I am wrong, don't know.

Follow the black 2 conductor lamp cord wire that comes from the magnetos in the picture. Whatever it's connected to, disconnect it and see if your spark returns. These usually go to a kill switch or ignition switch that shorts these two wires together to shut off the engine. Normally, they would go to the terminal block and then on to the "M" terminals on your ignition switch, but it appears someone changed something as they appear to go towards the front of the engine in your picture. Corrosion inside a kill switch or ignition switch can be enough to inhibit the magnetos.

Never assume the points are clean. All it takes is a fine film of oil on the point contact surfaces to stop them from making good contact. Also, don't use sandpaper to clean them; degrease them with a clean rag soaked with acetone or laquer thinner, and dress the points clean with a proper points file.

Edit: I see from one of the other photos the magnetos wires loop back to the terminal block. Just disconnect the two wires temporarily from the terminal block and see if the spark returns.

Last edited:
Back