Logo

Coolant leaking - FL120

misterb21

First time post. I'm losing 5-6 cups of coolant every 8 hours of runtime. Clean coolant is collecting in pan under engine. No visible sign of that type of flow/leakage from engine. Engine has about 2000 hours on it.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

misterb21,
bleed air out of petcock on front top of manifold. do not use more than 50% antifreeze i believe you have the old style expansion tank cap--look at brass piece on inside of cap -- if it's cracked replace it !
is the engine running hot ??
charlie w

misterb21,
bleed air out of petcock on front top of manifold. do not use more than 50% antifreeze i believe you have the old style expansion tank cap--look at brass piece on inside of cap -- if it's cracked replace it !
is the engine running hot ??
charlie w

Charlie,

Thanks for the feedback. I will check these things. I stay 50/50 on coolant mix.

Temp of engine has always been consistently 190+ on the gauge on console.

after further inspection, it appears the fluid loss is occuring at teh water pump.

I guess these water pumps can leak from weep hole. Only happens once engine is hot.

Is this common? Water pump is two years old.

Misterb, no this is not common. Possibly the bearing is failing when hot causing to wobble slightly and lose it's seal.
Replace it for peace of mind. It should last roughly ten years unless you have an aux. Gen running off the same belt which may cause it to fail earlier.
Charlie w.

Back