Logo

Honda 40-Easier way to start?

u13482

I just bought a 2000 Honda 40 on a pontoon. I was told at Wisconsin temperatures of now (about 60 degrees in the morning) to:
1. Prime the bulb
2. Push the black "fast idle" button on the remote control and then set the throttle up a bit
3. Push the key in to choke it, turn the key and it should start right away.

I've started it twice in the mornings and it starts but doesn't seem to catch on all cylinders right away.
The engine runs great once I get it started.

I'm thinking I'm not:
1. Priming the bulb enough-it didn't seem to get hard after 5 or 6 pumps; and I was afraid to over-pump it.
Can I flood the engine by over-pumping the bulb? Will gas come out of the engine into the water if it's
over-pumped?
2. Should I use the 2nd way to start it out of the manual page 20/45 by lifting the choke/fast idle level?

Chuck

1. only prime bulb till it feels firm, don't over pump
2. lift the fast idle arm to the top until you hear the electric choke solenoid click
3. turn key for 5 or 6 seconds (may have to try this twice)

It should start, but in cooler temps it may run rough for a bit.
you can feather the idle arm to keep it running until it warms up..
they don't like cold starts very much.

The bulb has to get hard even if it takes more than 5 squeezes. The carb float valves seating is what causes the bulb to get hard which also prevents flooding. Sound like no fuel to the top carb until the engine driven pump is working.

Last edited:
Thanks Mdoherty!!
I will work on getting it corrected.
You described what i believe is happenning (no fuel to at least one of the carbs until after engine starts).

Chuck

Primer bulb goes hard when all float valves are closed, all carburetors are full !-------------------No reason for a Honda to not like cold starts.-------------Always run fuel out of carburetors when boat is going to sit for a couple of weeks.-------------That is the best way to keep carburetors clean.

Back