Logo

When good 1409s go bad...

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
One of my Edelbrock 1409s has developed a slow flooding that makes the motor stall in gear. Put in new needles and seats to no avail (and EVERYTHING else checks out). Problem developed after sitting at the slip for a few weeks after a very smooth launch and run to the slip. Also, this same carb performed beautifully all last year.

So what's the problem? Either a crack has appeared somewhere inside the carb body, or ethanol had eaten a hole somewhere that allows gas to be sucked in under vacuum. (I let the carb sit on a white surface all night with lacquer thinner inside. No indication of a leak appeared, and the fluid levels had not changed overnight.) Three attempts to get this turkey working right have failed, so a new 1409 is on the way.

I reported on this since I've long been a supporter of these carbs--and I still am--but if my other 1409 goes the way of this one, I'll feel a bit differently.

Jeff

PS: Talked with a Edelbrock tech rep with a really attitude about why Edelbrock doesn't drill and tap the carb body for a PCV connection. He claims that the USCG does not allow them to do that. Interesting?

Jeff, did you take the tech's comments about the drill/tap as if he was laying the groundwork for implying that you "modified" the carb and, therefore, may be on the hook for it's failure.....or was he just ranting about the USCG regulations?

Not sure on the drilling and tapping issue, but I have to take their word for it.

The floats tmeselves do NOT have a pin hole in them--which is what you mean, I think. (Good thinking!) If you ever had that happen to you, then you know how bad a flooding condition that produces! This is a minor but irritating flooding that causes stalling in gear at idle.

Jeff

I know you've probably thought of/checked everything but.....are running an electric fuel pump? If so, could it be surging?

Yes,,,was thinking pinholes/porous soldered joint/etc.

other two items come to mind - verify fuel pump pressure isn't too high and make sure the pivot points on the float aren't wornor sloppy. you may also want to lower the fuel level in the bowl by an 1/8" and see if that helps if all else is ok.

The vacuum fitting in the base isn't an issue from the safety requirements attributed to the USCG...I'm thinking their lawyers and accountants eliminated that machining step.

..."The vacuum fitting in the base isn't an issue from the safety requirements attributed to the USCG...I'm thinking their lawyers and accountants eliminated that machining step. "

Heck; you're as cynical as I am!

I pumped up at least 10 psi with my outboard tank and no leaks. It's gotta have pinholes in the base or...?

Jeff

Fuel pump pressure at idle is far less than the 10-15 pounds I pumped out with the outboard tank, and the carb is perfectly clean which eliminates a plugged vent. (Good suggestion, tough.)

Jeff

Really odd. As one of the many running a 1409, it's pretty disconcerting that pinholes in the base are the most likley culprit.

I had to send one of my 1409's back under warranty last fall for flooding. I only ran it for a few months before the flooding issue. Edelbrock told me they found rust and dirt in the carb :confused:...not sure how that got past my inline filter. I had cleaned my Perko water seperator, and I found a lot of rust and junkin it...so I just dismissed it as cheap Auto Zone filters and trash that got past them from the perko drain plug clean out.

I changed to Napa gold filter for whatever that is worth. Been running ok since factory rebuild and new filters.

Who knows :confused:

Not yet, but the new one arrived last night so WE'LL see if that's the issue.

It MIGHT be my fuel pump leaking via that 3rd hose to the carb. Thought about that a few days ago and, if that's it, boy am I gonna be pissed!

Jeff

Update: Put the new 1409 on and the idle stalling problem is gone, so the old carb has either a crack in it or porosity that allows gas to be sucked in under vacuum (causing a slow flooding condition).

But I'm not celebrating yet, for the new carb has a horrible stumble (bog) when cracking the throttle. (It also cold started poorly, as if the accelerator pump was not functioning.) I messed around with it for a while, checking the accelerator pump for action--it IS squirting gas, but not as much as it should I believe.

So, what's wrong NOW? (Boy, what a boating year we're having! We had to come right back home since the electrical power was still out for the entire area, thanks to that freak wind storm that also ripped away our Bimini.) My theory is this: the accelerator pump had dried out from sitting on the shelf for a while, for the bogging SEEMED to decrease when I started her up later that day. We'll see!

Jeff

Update of the Update:

As I "suspected" (prayed for, actually! the accelerator pump simply needed to swell up, for the carb worked excellent soon as I tried it two days later. Finally got out of the river for the first time this year!

Jeff

Sure did! Ran down the ELk River and over to the Bohemia, dropped the hook and went swimming for hours. Great to be back into things!

Jeff

That is a beautiful boating area. Been thinking of moving my home port from the Jersey shore to either the Sassafras or Bohemia area. Great destinations on the Chesapeake.

Back