Logo

1975 omc 235 sterndrive

gfox333

My '75 cobalt was cruising fine, for a little while, then something give. The balldrive shaft in the intermediate housing has broke or a bearing has give. The assembly is loose in the housing. I am waiting delivery of an omc manual, but would like to go ahead and remove the outdrive. I can see the elec. shift wires that run thru the intermediatre housing into the lower unit. Is there a discconect somewhere to allow the removal of the outdrive? Thanks

Ok. Recieved my factory omc service manual today, and am now a little disipointed. I'm searching for info.... trying find anything that describes a coupler that goes between the engine and the ballgear driveshaft. I looked thru exploded views for all the gear housings and engine diagrams and can find nothing. I did read in the manual though, that you can remove the intermediate housing on the 235 without pulling the engine. Does all this sound correct? Appreciate any help.

Remove trunion caps and shims, but support outdrive so it does not fall off intermediate housing. Disconnect elect shift wires, follow from where they come into boat from intermediate housing they connect to the wiring harness. Remove tranom boot and disconnect the tru coarse steering cable. There is a small screw that needs to be removed in the cable spool bracket. This lets you remove the steering gear. All this should be in the book. You will have to seperatey our intermediate/bell housing from the engine to get to the coupler which is bolted to the flywheel. You may be able to move engine forward to remove housing but easier to work on if you have enough clearance. Post what you need and I will tell you places to contact that sell good used parts........Island Boy

Thanks island_boy. Got started on my tear down. Discovered that the coupler is not the prpblem after all. It broke the ballgear driveshaft. Now, i've have it down to removing the intermediate housing . All the nuts are off and the rubber seal is loose, only one thing holding this housing in place is the steering cable. Is there a trick to FINDING and REMOVING the shaft retaining screw? The manual shows it located on the end of the cable hub. If so, how are you supposed to access it? The hub will not turn far enough on the intermediate housing to give you access to the end of the hub. Any ideas? Thanks

I wouldn't bother to remove the intermediate from the boat. I would remove the engine and then replace the ballgear shaft in the intermediate in place in the hull. Two tapered roller bearings and a couple of seals and some shims. It's all serviced from the rear.
If you need to drive a seal or brg cup, can just stand where the engine was and hit things.

If you need the trucourse assembly off, slide the pin and plastic cover off the rear drum, have someone turn the steering wheel until you see a screw come around on the rear drum.
Remove that screw and the trucourse shaft will slide out the rear of the intermediate. Keep track of the nylon washers and wave washer and such as it sides out.

Back